Argentina pickelhauben

polihelmet

Hi all, after a long long time, found my second argentine pickelhaube, an officier model, is in great shape, besides two stars missing and the last owner polished the brass parts and the leather, anyway I am very happy.Hope you like
The other one, is a trooper model, adquired some years ago.
POLI

They look sweet! There is a whole section on Argentine helmets in this article but you probably already know that. Congratulations!

http://pickelhauben.net/articles/latin_America.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

German made, ironically with argentine leather as the legend says.
They were officially used from 1910 - 1924.They are a few rare models locally made during ww1, stamped AG inside, that is Arsenal de guerra.
To add confusion to the argentine haube issue, in the 60s a surplus shop got all the replacement parts, bodies, etc discarded by the army, those parts were sold separately or new helmets were puted toguether not respecting the original configuration, so you have quite a few variations and rare mixes that show from time to time, of course they are not strictly original.
Thanks for the kind words!
POLI

I also like those stands you use :thumb up: . What are they made of?
When you have a minute, could you post a couple of closeups of one without the pickelhaube?

Very nice helmets and thanks for sharing.

RON said:
I also like those stands you use :thumb up: . What are they made of?
When you have a minute, could you post a couple of closeups of one without the pickelhaube?

Big lemonade glasses from IKEA are well-suited for the display of haubes :D

Regards,

Edwin

They are common kitchen paper stands made of MDF, they are very cheap, this are sold here in livraries to be painted or decorated, I left then they way the came.
here a pic of painted decorated one, the shape is the same.
POLI

This is why I have to fly back to Canada at least twice a year...
There's a few other 'places' we don't have here either: Canadian Tire, Costco, Home Depot and Wal-Mart... Can't wait for my next vacation!

RON said:
There's a few other 'places' we don't have here either: Canadian Tire, Costco, Home Depot and Wal-Mart... Can't wait for my next vacation!

Oh.... they have Walmarts in Canada? :cry: So sad.

:D Ron

RON said:
I think it's the cheapest place to buy Beef Jerky... :D

LOL, probably! Well, here in a town of 10,000 in the US, Walmart does its best to close down and strangle out every other business in town, it's like a cancer.

Ron

RON said:

How could you miss Tim Horton's off that list?!? Seriously, though, beautiful helmets! I have a CDV of a young Argentinian cadet wearing one of these somewhere...

Back