Artillery Helmet Cover

Hi all,
I just registered. I collected WW1 German militaria a long time ago and as interest boosted again, I like to restart again :) I still have an artillery spiked helmet cover in my collection, which was given to me by a friend in Germany in 1995. I always thought it was a repro, but like to shown it here just to be sure. The hooks are resewn and are not covered with a piece of cloth. The spike cover is attached with 5 piece of cloth and the inside reinforced with leather. What is strange is that the cover seems to have been made smaller, by folding the underside of the cover and machine sewing it together. It fitted nicely over a spiked helmet I had. The front has been reinforced with an additional piece of cloth at the inside of the cover. Some marking present but not readable.

What do you think ?
Best
nYqstXA.jpg

jV9oj5u.jpg

16WYFPq.jpg

gKPs4Kb.jpg

jejzkfo.jpg

0wXGcc7.jpg

sKIfywH.jpg

EEARtoR.jpg

HoAOUXI.jpg

ghTesGd.jpg

Welcome Frank, great to have you join us. I like your uberzug very much, we have seen one example posted here previously which had an added stitch line (vertical)that made the circumference of the cover smaller so that it would fit a smaller size helmet. The cloth and hooks on your cover look original to me.

Hello Franck.

It is a very uncommon and interesting Uberzug !
For me too, everything seems original.
What is very interesting is the additional piece of cloth at the inside of the cover. I have too an Uberzug (from JR 115) which has been too made smaller. And it has too this additional piece, exactly in the same area ! I will check but I remember that the resewn hooks are too not covered with a piece of cloth.
So it should be exactly the same method which was used for these Uberzug.
I was wondering what the additional piece of cloth could be, I believed first for a specific sign, for instance during trainings. But as the two Uberzug have been made smaller, I believe now that it was indeed a way to reinforced the Uberzug.

Here are the pictures of the Uberzug I was spoken.

You can notice that the way used to make the Uberzug smaller is the same. Th length of the Uberzug was shorten (that is why the number look now so low), the the additional piece of cloth at the inside of the cover is used to make the Uberzug a smaller size, and the resewn hooks are too not covered with a piece of cloth.
The Uberzug is for a very small size 51 or 52.

Back