Asian Conical Hats - Use by Germans in WWI?

Peter_Suciu

I recently wrote a short post for my MilitarySunHelmets.com site:
http://www.militarysunhelmets.com/2012/conical-asian-hat-of-the-hong-kong-police" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The British had the Chinese members of the Hong Kong and Shanghai police wear the traditional conical Asian straw hat - with a badge on the front. I've never seen an actual one and I have to wonder if even the Hong Kong Police Museum has one. I doubt few - if any - survived.

But I was reading and it seems Asian volunteers in the German's East Asiatic Forces also wore the conical hat. Does anyone have any information on those?

Can't help you for the hat, but I might have some on the buckle the guy wears on his belt (if thise is any good!?)!
cheers
|<ris

Peter I cannot help you with the number. I have never seen those hats on any kind of German auxiliary. Here is a picture of some French auxiliaries with a weird hat.

ps1432 by joerookery, on Flickr

Joe-That is a fantastic photo. I've been dabbling with various colonial forces headgear, but mostly British forces with turbans, kalpaks, shakos and the various pillbox caps. I wonder how many of those French hats survived. I bet the only ones are in museums.

Back