Auction is done

Gustaf

Staff member
Hi all,
I have railed about the amount auction houses charge in the east, we just finished selling my father's farm equipment (no pigs, goats or potatoes) and we were charged 6% pluss advertizing, the buyers paid the amount bid. I guess the thing that irritates me the most about a buyers fee, is that they still charge the seller a fee too. If an auction house told the sellers that they were going to charge them 1/3 of the selling price for their goods, the sellers would not be so happy to sell through them, but if the auction house charges a 20% sellers fee and a 20% buyers fee, that adds up to 33% of the price paid for the item, to me that seems a bit steep, then if is an estate sale, that is handled by a lawyer, there are some states that allow the lawyer to take a 33% cut, and if the unfortunate soul lived in California at some point in their life, the state tax commission will want their death tax (I do not know what % they want, because when they came after my grandmother's death taxes, my sister told them that the only asset she had was a coffin and if they wanted it, they had to come dig it up).
OK, I think I am back under control, I have been off my medication, sorry about that.
Zaphod

Back