Auctions for pickelhauben

Hello

I am French and i 'm looking for a website for militaria auctions concerning the WW1. Have you got a good adress for me ?

Thanks a lot.

Regards

IR76 de Hambourg

Hello

Thank you for your answer. "Auctions" to translate in French : ''ventes aux enchères" like Drouot (in Paris) for example.

Regards

IR76...

Dear IR76,

Personally, I would not recommend ebay as a primary source for WW1 militaria mainly because of the unrealistic prices, the huge number of fakes and reproductions, which are more and more difficult to recognize for the starting and even experienced collector. I prefer the various dealers, which are mentioned elswhere on this forum in a positive way because you can be pretty sure about the authenthicity of the items offered and the price is fixed (and more realistic). As an illustrative example I would like to mention that I recently purchased a reichskokarde for a model M95 helmet at one of these dealers for $65 and I've seen similar ones on ebay go for more than $100.

Best regards,

Edwin

this is the only online auction house that I know of but you will need some special software to bid online. maybe a little too complicated. They have a auction coming up in a couple months. you can also look through there past auctions and from the pictures they seem to offer top quality pickelhauben.

http://www.hermann-historica.com/

I can only say that with ebay, online auction houses or online dealers you only have the pictures to make a good decision from. Always ask the seller questions and have a lot of book references to compare from.

If you have military museums in your area, it's a good idea to stop in and see what the originals look like. Check antique stores and get a feel for the look and smell of an original as well.
Some of the fakes are really quite deceiving, so experience, research and a discerning eye are important. I think it was Tony who said he looks at a helmet and says, "Prove that you're original." This is a good idea and the best idea is not to get carried away at a sale or auction and pay a lot for something that is really not what you're looking for.

Other suggestions:

A list of what you want to buy and what you want to avoid
Start a reference library
Make notes of what you see on helmet (Markings, cockades, trim / furniture types / colors, etc) and check them against your library sources. Sometimes, the source book can be wrong, so HERE on the forum is the best place to ask questions. There are some real experts here.

Back