Australian Flying Corps

flasheart

Gents,

I have to show you my latest acquisitions. The holy grail for Australian collectors.

First is an original Australian Slouch Hat, WW1 manufacture circa 1916, with original puggaree and rising sun. Even though there must have been over a million of these made during the war, very few have survived. For an Aussie this is quite a find.

d3127aw.jpg

d7121nt.jpg

The second lot is a great find. An original WW1 RFC maternity tunic from a MC winner, a pair of corduroy breeches owned by Lieutenant Edward Rowntree DFC of the Australian Flying Corps, his leggings and Sam Browne Belt, plus a silk embroidered A.F.C. banner signed 'Good luck boys, 22. 12. 17'.

Mike

ae123hp.jpg

8d120og.jpg

ag125ju.jpg

Hi Mike,
I am pleased to see you found your "Holy Grail" for Aussie collectors. We have an Aussie and a New Zealand exchange officer at the HQ both still wearing caps that I can't really tell from your 1st war one.

Nice find on the Maternity! :thumbright: I collect RFC as you know and can appreciate how scarce those are. Very interesting that the lower pockets are slash and do not have flaps. Nice Polish pattern cuffs as well. T

Tony,

I have about a dozen WW2 dated slouch hats, which are very similar to the current pattern. This particular pattern was only manufactured during WW1. the give-aways are the edge-stitching, the woollen (tunic material) puggaree, the hooks for the chinstrap.

The Flying Corps set is a rare find; though the tunic is RFC rather than AFC. All the other uniform pieces are marked 'Rowntree 3 Sqn AFC' - which is LT Edward Fearnley Rowntree DFC. An AFC accoutremented tunic would be a rare find indeed.

Mike

Superb stuff, Mike. Thank's for posting 'em. So that's two on the forum that have found their respective "Grail's". When I turn up that M15 J.R. 92 EM with the skull and bones, I'll let you know and it will be drink's all round. :drunken:

Companero,
Congrats. This is the first WWI slouch I have seen outside of a museum. You mentioned that one of the other characteristics of the WWI era slouch hat were the chinstrap hooks. Could you possibly post some close ups?

thanks
Francisco

Here is the GERMAN HOLY GRAIL that the Australians have in Australian War Memorial, Canberra.

Manfred von Richthofens fur boots.
richthofenartifacts23003nf.jpg

Regards
Stuart

flasheart said:
Now you have gone and opened up that old 'Who shot down the Red Baron?" question again: SGT Popkin of the AIF or CAPT Brown of the RFC? the Australian infantry or the Canadian pilot?

I believe this was resolved. Even Roy Brown would not say he shot down von Richthofen. Only the RFC stuck to that claim. Anyone with an interest should read the forensic account by Norman Franks and Alan Bennett: "The Red Baron's Last Flight". It proves that only Aussie ground fire could have brought him down.

The seat from von Richthofen DR1 is in Toronto on display and the control column is also is Australia at the war memorial.

spikeymikey said:
So that's two on the forum that have found their respective "Grail's".

No-one else caught this clue?

Better duct-tape your jaw up for this one.....

Well if my jaw will drop it must be a helmet not a uniform, hat, flying stuff, Canadian stuff or medal. Geeesh what don't you have?

Ah come on don't make me snivel what is it?

Well one thing is for certain, whatever it is it will be FANTASTIC!

Might as well be prepared and get a bib, 'cause after the jaw drops, the drooling will begin.

Geo

Back