Australian "pith" Helmets

stuart_bates

Here is my latest helmet. It is a New South Wales Foreign Service helmet to the NSW Infantry, although since it was worn at home as well, I'm not sure about calling it a Foreign Service helmet but that is the style. Anyway it features the "Badge of the Colony" plate which was designed by James Barnet and Capt Francis Hixson and was adopted for use in 1876. It consists of the Coat of Arms of the NSW colony within a Waratah wreath (the Waratah being the floral emblem of the colony) and a lion and the stars of the Southern Cross.

The scarlet cloth backing was approved in 1883 so that dates my helmet to 1883-1901. In 1901 the Australian States federated and control of State forces was ceded to the Commonwealth.

Anybody out there got any Australian helmets to show?

Stuart
NSWFront.jpg

Hi Stuart:

I don't have any Australian helmets to share, but thank you for sharing this beautiful example here. Is it possible for the ventilation holes in the spike base to be closed? Also, would it be possible to see a shot of the interior? I gather the chinscale is attached to interior hooks.

Thanks and welcome back.

Chas.

Hi Chas,

attached is a shot of the interior. The ventilation holes can't be closed and the chinchain is secured by two internal hooks.

Stuart
NSWinterior.jpg

I forgot to say that the helmet was made by William Jones & Co of Regent Street London. I have a reprint of their British Uniform Pattern Book 1886. Fascinating stuff.

Stuart

And I thought I was a pedant! It has been pointed out to me that the NSW helmet is not technically an Australian helmet, there being no country called Australia at that time.

Australia was then a continent (no jokes please) consisting of British colonies. I guess an Australian Colony helmet would fit the bill.

Stuart

Hey Chas,

I've got 4 lovely Wolseleys (held up in Customs, bugger!) that I will soon be posting.

I thought Austrailia was a Dominon ,as Canada was . I know by 1914 it was . the Dominion title was given to Canada in 1866 ( I think and will proably be ponced upon) .
Just a thought
Mark

Mark,

you had me scratching my head with that one but I got this from Wikipedia - "Although the term Dominion has rarely been used in Australia, it achieved Dominion status with the federation of its six self-governing colonies as the Commonwealth of Australia, in 1901."

So I guess Australian Colony or Colony of NSW will have to do.

Stuart

Mark,

I forgot to respond to your earlier comment about the silver badge on the NSW helmet. Silver/white metal were for the Volunteer forces the same as in the British Army system.

My reference book, Military Badges of the Australian Colonies 1800-1903 by Rick Grebert has two photos of the badge one in white metal and the other, an officer's, in sterling silver.

Stuart

The White metal is interesting. They used brass here in Canada for most units. I will try to get pics of one this week , it will be added to list of Headgear to be photoed .
All the ones i have seen in Canada have used Brass with the occasional Balck toned Copper or Brass.
I knew Austrailia was a Dominion , but was unsure when it became one , Canada and Newfoundland were also Dominion's.
Mark

Back