Austrian dragoner helmet 1866

That is a very cool piece, lots of work and quite a challenge to restore it. I look forward to seeing pictures as you work on it!

Impressive Helmet. All the best for your restauration-project. Would be happy to see the progress :thumb up:

Thank you guys, yes of course I will put the photos of my progress here! ;-) At the moment all parts are removed and I cleam the shell and the trim. It is very heavely dirty and dirt comes off very slowely. If I finish cleannig today I will post it here. Luckily the shell has no rust at all.

I have also found a man who is making repros - well he claims he continues the productin as he has the authorisation from Otto Von Habsburg (who would be curant Austrian king if the Empire would survice WWI). This man will make a the upper edge that is missing + the V-shape side support.

Now I have a question - how about the linner? Should I or Should I not put it in?

Just in case anyone is interested to get one - here is the link. http://ungermilitarie.com/die-helme-fur-k-u-k-dragoner

Another progress, one side is cleaned. Also i played with shape od upper edge which now seems correct. Other side and lower front to come.

Very nice project! What did you use to clean the Wappen? I wouldn't add a liner as the liner isn't required to display the helmet; I would only add the absolute minimum of repro parts required to make the helmet look complete from the outside.

Regards, Lars

Thank you guys! :)

Lars: i am using splecial metal cleaner liquid called Sitol. It is local Czech product and the bottle costs less than a dollar. It is quite smelly - sort of rotting eggs. I put the liquid on a dish spong and clean it with the hard side.

I totally agree with you Lars I will only add the missing top and rest I will leave as is. I am not going to paint it or to do any thing with it. Just clean it, fix it and add the top edge.

Back