Austrian spiked helmet

Robert

Recently I posted a picture of a man who turned out to be austrian (http://pickelhaubes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3240).
I think I have another picture of that interesting helmet typ. The man is inspecting a crashed air plane, not necessarily during war time. But the man on the other picture appears to carry a captured russian rifle which would put at least that picture into the WWI era.

Do you have any information about this helmet?

flieger_3.jpg

flieger_1.jpg

flieger_2.jpg

The helmet in the photo is an Austro-Hungarian ersatz cloth- covered cork helmet. There is an exact example in the Military Museum in Prague. The brass wappen is painted over a flat grey. The Museum labled it as a combat field police helmet if my Czech was correct. Regards, Corky

Thanks for the info. At least the other helmet has a bright wappen. Evidently they did not like covers if they overpainted a nice brass plate.
BTW I just saw a shako plate in Ebay that is quite similar.

strange_front.jpg
9559_2.JPG

Hey Robert,
In both photos, the helmet is the 1902 Gendarmerie helmet, During war time they functioned as military police, and the reason that we do not see covers on these helmets was that they were not combat troops, but security force, and that would explain why one was photographed guarding a crashed airplane. This would be during the war, as the double headed eagle of the Dual Monarchie was dropped after the war.
Best wihses
Gus

Robert said:
Thanks for the info. At least the other helmet has a bright wappen. Evidently they did not like covers if they overpainted a nice brass plate.
BTW I just saw a shako plate in Ebay that is quite similar.

strange_front.jpg
9559_2.JPG

Hi Robert

be aware of the presence of several "galvano" reproductions of this plate....

Back