AUSTRO-HUNGARIAN ARMY (1)

FRONTENAC

Hello All,

Here is a photograph showing Dragoons. The photo is mounted on a cardboard backing.

All comments about the uniform, the regiment, the rank of these cavalrymen and the year approx. when this photo was taken are welcomed.

Thanks,

Rick

a7jy1.jpg

a8sb1.jpg

a9nk6.jpg

a10qr6.jpg

Very interesting photo, it appears that both are Feldwebel, or Sargeant-Major, I would assume that they come from Klatovy, which is just north of OberÖsterreich, that would put them in a german regt (as opposed to a Hungarian regt) They would have been Czech, and this photo could have been taken as late as the second year of the war, although I suspect it is pre war. As far as determining which regt they are, is uncertin, but I would venture to guess that they are of the 2nd Graf Parr of Prag, as the facings appear to be very dark and the buttons look to be white (silver) rather than yellow (brass or gold). and the facings for this unit is black, but now we run into the trouble of determining colour from a photo. the age of the photo could be such that Yellow (the facing colour of 7th Herzog von Lothringen) could appear as nearly black. The other choices for someone from this region would be the 10th and the 14th, but both these regts had yellow buttons.
Best wihses
Gus

Hey Rick,
After taking a second look at the close up of the fellow on the left, I would say that his collar is black rather than yellow, as the Litzen of the Feldwebel should be yellow, and the collar is much darker than the Litzen. I can not ID the medal he is wearing, I suspect that Lost Skeleton can ID it, and that would give a better idea of the date.
Gus

Rick,

The Regimental staff and 1. Division (Half-Regiment) of Dragonerregiment Eugen Prinz von Savoyen Nr. 13 was stationed in Klattau as was the Ersatz Kader (Recruiting Depot) of Dragonerregiment Fürst zu Windisch-Graetz Nr. 14. Both these regiments had madder red facings. The former had white, the latter yellow buttons.

Both Wachtmeister wear the The Crown Jubilee Medal of 1898 but not the The Crown Jubilee Cross of 1908 dating it therefore between those two years. The Wachtmeister with folded arms has the long service chevrons of a long service NCO denoting over six years of service (one wide and two narrow chevrons).

Regards
Glenn

Glenn, I discounted the 13th, as my referance locates it in Leitmeritz, which is north of Prag, I did not consider where it would be stationed, only where they were recruted. After looking again at the photos, the buttons could be yellow, making the 14th Fürst zu Windisch-Graetz and good possibility.
Gus

Thank you very much Gus and Glenn!

Now the info you gave me allows me to answer the important questions that I am asking for: the regiment associated with these cavalrymen (Dragonerregiment Nr.13 or Nr.14); the rank of both men (Wachtmeister) and the year approx. when this photo was taken (between 1898 and 1908).

Glenn, I think that those two cavalrymen were Officer Cadets but your explanation concerning the long service chevrons of long service NCO put an irrefutable end to this possibility.

Thanks Guys!

Rick

Hi

The medal is indeed a "Jubilaums Erinnerungsmedaille 1898", gilt bronze, red ribbon (The Crown Jubilee Medal of 1898 ).

The porteepee seems to be an officer one.

Best regards

Eric

Back