Austro-Hungarian Army

monfort

Hi

Some new items for my collection/

Newly awarded Hungarian soldiers and Austro-hungarian troops along a road.

The Honved troops just got their new medals, probably the MilitärDienstAbzeichen.

You can see 3 different types of Hungarian brass belt buckles.

Best regards

Eric

Hi Eric,
Could we get close ups of the different buckles?, great photos,
Gus

Hey Eric,
Thanks, the second buckle looks like the double coat of arms buckle that has been reported to be a fantasy peice, I have seen examples that I believe to be old, and a period photo would support their authenticity. The last buckle looks like a plane brass buckle, which I have recently seen for sale as an unknown buckle. The cord on the trousers also show up better in the enlargments.
Best wihses
Gus

Hi Gus

For me, the first one is the one in the left upper corner.

The second is the one below (sometimes called: Royal Hungarian Landwehr)

The third one is plane indeed.

Hi

I just want to add that all Austro-Hungarian brass belt buckles are copied. Copies are sold in the Military Museum in Vienna (about 15-20€) as well as in all flea markets.

Often they have been aged and wear a nice but fake patina.

Hey Eric,
I have heard that they are available from the museum, and they did not take long to show up on ebay. How good are the copies, I have not handled one, as I have not added an Austrian buckle to my collection since 1972.
Gus

Hi Gus

The 3 shown in the previous post are probably repros...

Below are some "official" repros:

I think that only the buckles marked with the name of the producer would be genuine now.

The copies are very good, but not stamped.

Hey Eric,
Did you know that the steel buckles have been reproduced too. from what I have been told, they are very good.
Gus

Hi Gus

I suppose they have been reproduced too, but I don't collect them and I have no special info about them..........sorry!

Back