Authentic or reproduction Ersatz M15

Griffioen

Hello, my name is Rob and I am new to this forum.

I would like your opinion on an M15 pickelhaube that I bought 15 years ago in Verdun. 'an attic find, said the shopkeeper'.

In retrospect it may be a bit naive to believe, but hopefully you will find that it is authentic and not a fake. I also bought there a matching number M1898 n.A. that looks real to me. So I still have a little hope :).

Although...there are missing stamps in the liner which concerns me.

Thank you in advance for your opinion!

Greetings, Rob

Attachments

• IMG_2626.jpeg
    IMG_2626.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2633.jpeg
    IMG_2633.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2632.jpeg
    IMG_2632.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2631.jpeg
    IMG_2631.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2630.jpeg
    IMG_2630.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2629.jpeg
    IMG_2629.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2628.jpeg
    IMG_2628.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2627.jpeg
    IMG_2627.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 35
I believe your helmet is authentic. Sometimes, one can stumble upon a "parts pickelhaube" which is a pickelhaube that has been assembled using original or even reproduction parts from several different helmets, however I don't think your helmet is a parts helmet. Also, in my collecting experience, Prussian M15 pickelhauben aren't often faked, or at least faked well, as they are the most common and affordable pickelhauben in the market, which is another reason why I believe your pickelhaube is an authentic piece.

Last edited:
Hi, yes, this is definitely an original enlisted Prussian m15 Pickelhaube. The lack of any stamps isn't uncommon on these. It actually looks to be in good condition. However, it should have cockades (colored disks on the left and right side) and chin strap. A real cool piece of WW1 history.

These type of models are my favorite, but there are so many other models from the 1840s until even now that people collect. Have fun.

Gabe

As everyone above has said, a fine M15 is known as a "littel grey" in France. The absence of the regimental number is in accordance with the AKO repeated since 1914, not to inform the enemy of the presence of German troops.

Hi, thank you all very much for your reactions, I really appreciate it! You made my day good :) .

I learn interesting facts from your posts and finally I can enjoy from this historical piece.

@Sandmann, to put words into action…please see picutures. I hope you all like it.

And yes indeed, it would be much better with chin strap and cockades included. I think this becomes my next project to find genuines.

Best regards,
Rob

Attachments

• IMG_2697.jpeg
    IMG_2697.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2698.jpeg
    IMG_2698.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 25
Yes, i picked up yesterday at Hertitage auction. It looks for me a time period one. Though I don’t know if it was used with my M15 helmet.

The auction mentioned the überzug, based on the stamp, originating from the 18th infantry regiment. Also said with D.R.G.M. stamp which i can’t read anyway.

The absence of the regimental number is in accordance with the AKO repeated since 1914, not to inform the enemy of the presence of German troops.
Cloclo, I would like to see such an AKO which stipulates that helmets (particularly M15) are no longer to be regimentally stamped... We all know that green regiment numbers on the Überzüge (helmet covers) have existed in regulation till the fall of 1916! The same observation applies to the publication of casualty lists (Verlustlisten) in which units numbers were eliminated towards the end of 1916.
Not all the M15 helmets are showing no regimentals stamps. I think this has more to do with the lack of time or the little importance to mark each helmets in wartime.
Philippe

Cloclo, I would like to see such an AKO which stipulates that helmets (particularly M15) are no longer to be regimentally stamped... We all know that green regiment numbers on the Überzüge (helmet covers) have existed in regulation till the fall of 1916! The same observation applies to the publication of casualty lists (Verlustlisten) in which units numbers were eliminated towards the end of 1916.
Not all the M15 helmets are showing no regimentals stamps. I think this has more to do with the lack of time or the little importance to mark each helmets in wartime.
Philippe
Philippe
I R 88 in green
on an officers helmet for display only
SteveI R 88 cover.JPG

Back