Avation Uniforms of the First World War

Chris Liontas

I am not sure if this is the place for this topic, but after seeing Alan's named US Observer grouping, I thought we could start a posting, showing documented fliers uniforms from WWI. Let's do any country, documented suits are rare enough to warrant their own topic.

[Edited with Chris' permission to welcome the posting of any 1st War Aviation Uniforms. Tony]

A very well-known Feldrock, and the centre piece of my collection, the Riesenflugzeugabteilung 501 (Giant Aircraft Detachment 501) Sergeant's Model 1910 Flieger tunic. The tunic correctly adheres to the regulations for Fliegertruppen with single Garde Litzen on the collar and double Garde Litzen on the cuffs.

f01.jpg

Next, the Canadians. This is the Maternity tunic of 2Lt George Hughey from Kamloops BC. The tunic is a fine quality twill with cloth embroidered rank pips and RFC wing with a Toronto tailors label. 2Lt Hughey's RFC records indicate that in Sept 1918 he was trained as a Camel Pilot.

rfc01.jpg

Below, a Maternity tunic of an RFC Observer. Note that this example has "lancer" cuffs and bronze RFC collar badges. Sadly, the tailors label and name tag have been removed, most likely when the family who owned the tunic sold it.

rfc16.jpg

I'll close the Maternity tunics with a rare one: Model 1914 Royal Flying Corps Other Ranks issued Maternity tunic. The Model 1914 differed from the Model 1912, in that it carried shoulder straps, a closed collar, an angled front opening, plain cuffs, and pocket flaps.

rfc17.jpg

And my only American, an RFC Lt cuff ranked service tunic. This tunic appears to have been made for an American Volunteer with the RFC. The tunic has RFC brass collar badges, RFC buttons and embroidered RFC wing with no evidence of any other previous insignia. The ribbon bar ribbons are for the U.S Mexican Border Service, British War Medal 1914-1920 and the Allied Victory Medal ribbons which indicate an American who volunteered for the Royal Flying Corps. The tunic has wear and repairs consistent with flight service and has two brass wound bars on the left sleeve. Unfortunately the tunic is not named.

rfc02.jpg

Really great tunics here... I'm not in the aviation stuff, but these look so good I want to start right now...

Adler

Hi Tony!!

Amazing tunics!!

I am betting we can find who the American was. Mexican border service will narrow down the lists, most likely he was from New England or Chicago.

I will start to pull through my references

Mine is coming, my mannequin wont stand up yet :p

USNA.jpg

United States Naval Aviator 1601, Ensign John Cunningham Stewart, Navy Serial 43957

Stewart received his wings and commission 9 October 1918

The trousers (not pictured) were included with the uniform.

Chas

I guess since I started this post, I should finally add to it! :)

The panel is the symbol of the 258th Aero Squadron, a depiction of a sculpture of a lion. The insignia is entitled, " the Lion of Belfort" in honor of a prominent statue in Belfort. The 258th was stationed at Luxeuil, which was outside Belfort. The panel is an original, cut from the side of a Salmson 2A2 issued to the squadron. The Salmson was a well regarded reconnaissance aircraft, which was the original duty of the 258th. The squadron reached the front 19 September 1918, and therefor did not see much combat time. The only fliers that saw combat time, were actually assigned to British squadrons, then reassigned to the 258th.
The two uniforms in front of the panel, are two tunics of actual aviators from the squadron.

The Observer is the tunic of Lt John Anderson, who flew with the 183rd. He was one of only five teams to see active combat before Armistice. While they did not engage enemy aircraft, AAA fire left their aircraft "riddled with holes" after several missions.

The pilot tunic is for 2LT Lyle H. Corlette who was assigned to the 258th 6 Dec 1918 and did not see combat with the squadron. He did however, fly many missions over German lines, enforcing the withdrawal of German forces after armistice.

258th.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Closeup LT Anderson

The observer wing is British made in silk (as is proper as he started with the RFC). He flew several combat missions before, and after the inception of the 258th. He is one of only five groups to see combat with the 258th.

andersonm.jpg
[/url][/img]

Tunic of LT Lyle Corlette. He was inducted at Schenectady, NY and sent to Issoudon, France for training. The wings are French made, as is the tunic. Lt Corlette saw no combat time, however he saw much flying time (as noticed by his three chevrons) over German lines enforcing the armistice.

colliette.jpg
[/url][/img]

Uniform of LT Bill Mooney.

LT Mooney was one of the few USAAS pilots, called "the Warbirds" that flew with the British during the war. He flew with 211 Squadron flying the DH4. On September 29th, 1918 Lt Mooney took off on a bombing mission on Courtrai. He was shot down in flames, wounded, and captured (his observer LT Fair was killed in the combat with German fighters).

dsc00026dva.jpg
[/url][/img]

Uniform to LT Paul Paul Montague of the 95th Aero Squadron (the Kicking Mules). I am still researching the dates, and Jasta, but Lt Montague was assigned to the 95th, and one month later shot down and wounded. He spent the rest of the war a POW behind the lines.

More research to follow.

paulmontegue.jpg
[/url][/img]

Uniform of Fredrick I Ordway. Assigned to the 94th Aero (B Flight) and 27th Aero (B Flight flying Sopwith Camels), one unconfirmed kill against a DFW over Soissons in July 1918. His portrait hangs above the uniform.

ordway.jpg
[/url][/img]

Hello all, this is my first posting to the forum. This is the uniform group of Lt. George Franklin "Tommy" Thomson, an American that flew with 74 Squadron. He was shot down and captured June 12, 1918. The group is extensive, if there is any interest I will post more.

Croix de Guerre said:
Hello all, this is my first posting to the forum. This is the uniform group of Lt. George Franklin "Tommy" Thomson, an American that flew with 74 Squadron. He was shot down and captured June 12, 1918. The group is extensive, if there is any interest I will post more.

Back