Baden 111 IR Mannschaft Haube

Mike Huxley

Well it's been a long time since I was able to show anything new to you guys ...... But at long last, what I thought as a nice common haube landed on my doorstep.

So here it is. nothing outstanding but with some gentle cleaning and care it should display well.

baden001mn2.jpg

baden003lw7.jpg

baden009lc1.jpg

baden010xq9.jpg

baden013di4.jpg

Mike- great to hear from you!

Nice looking Baden, I love M15's and this is a very nice example.

James

James LeBrasseur said:
Mike- great to hear from you!

Nice looking Baden, I love M15's and this is a very nice example.

James

Thanks James and Roy,

What pulled me towards this one was the nice condition of the inside of the helmet. Original leather draw cord and nice markings. In fact all seems to be original, including the chin strap.

One happy bunny here \:D/

What lovely marks! Just like all the other JR 111 marks -- done by hand in the top of the helmet -- congratulations... found that on your doorstep eh?

joerookery said:
What lovely marks! Just like all the other JR 111 marks -- done by hand in the top of the helmet -- congratulations... found that on your doorstep eh?

Well Joe ... it was left in my porch by my local postie, so I gave it a good home. I think it had a long trip to arrive there though .

As an aside can I ask what is the best way to keep that nice original leather pull cord supple and stop it from drying out?

Mike; Glad you enjoy the helmet. The helmet was in my collection for awhile and It is a 100% helmet. I bought it for the condition which is one of the best. My friend was nice enough to post it on another form as my posting skills are primitive at best. I dont collect Baden but its nice to know a fellow form member got a great pickle. All the best. :D :D Jerry

Jerry Rehr said:
I dont collect Baden but its nice to know a fellow form member got a great pickle.

Hey Jerry, Well it's nice to know who's collection the haube came from. Derek did mention that he was selling it for a friend. Were the felt ones that he showed yours as well?

James LeBrasseur said:
Jerry- A little hurt you let this one get out of Minnesota! :D :D :D

Shame on you James ... these things are meant to be spread around .... but guess you should look in other places if you want to snag a nice helmet \:D/

Mike- My mom always said I did not like to share my toys! :-x

All joking aside, I am glad it found a good home! :D

I am happy for you!

James

James LeBrasseur said:
Mike- My mom always said I did not like to share my toys!

James, I guess you mom got it wrong ... you share your toys well on the forum.

I've gently cleaned this lovely Haube (as per Tony's guide) and it now sparkles. I still ask .... how do you preserve the inside leather tongues and the tie from drying out any further, surely leather needs feeding to keep it supple?

Pictures will follow as soon as I can get them done.

That is a sweet haube!! As far as liners go both Tony and I use a product called Lexol. They have 2 useful items, a conditioner and a cleaner. I buy mine at the local Heritan Leather shop (formerly Tandy Leather Co.). Above all, NEVER USE NEATSFOOT OIL on any leather item !!!! I have used Pecards but find it too much like dubin...greasy. I have recently been informed about another product.... "Ballistol" which is for sale on the net and originally developed for the German Army prior to WW1 as a leather treatment for its equipment. I have not tried this stuff yet but it is recommended to me by a fellow restoration expert who has used it for many years. This guy is my mentor...any time I can't figure out how to restore something I email him and get the answers. Brian

Brian, Thanks for the information, I'll try and buy some of the Lexol, but I'm not sure if I can get it in the UK. I'll let you know if I find it.

One last thing that came to mind when reviewing the pics here. Take a look at the interior shots of the support disc, no scratches on the black paint, the spike base brads have never been removed because as you can see they are flat to the disc and there are no scratch marks on them either. Just a perfectly untouched Baden M15, and well marked to a specific Regt. with original chinstrap and kokarden. These are becoming extremely hard to find and are well worth the extra investment. This is one of those pieces where there is absolutely no doubt about where it came from. Brian

Mike

The interior regimental done in dark paint is fairly identical to the one in my Baden M15. More commonly they were done in white paint. Very nice helmet!

Shot

Geo

Mike; The other helmets are mine as well. Derek is a good friend but doesnt collect spikes. I will have him post the others on this form some day. Cheers :D :D Jerry

Jerry Rehr said:
Mike; The other helmets are mine as well. Derek is a good friend but doesnt collect spikes. I will have him post the others on this form some day. Cheers :D :D Jerry

Jerry, why not post them yourself. If you need help to do that, I would be happy to give assist you. This forum is the place to pass on the helmets that will be loved and cherished by fellow collectors.

I would just like to thank you for passing this lovely Helmet into my small collection.

Please PM me if you wish to list yoiur other helmets.

Wyliecoyote said:
Mike

The interior regimental done in dark paint is fairly identical to the one in my Baden M15. More commonly they were done in white paint. Very nice helmet!

Shot

Geo

Thanks Geo,

The shot of your Baden is the same marks as mine. I wonder why white paint was used, but I suppose it was down to what was available at the time of marking ... or is there another reason?

b.loree said:
Just a perfectly untouched Baden M15, and well marked to a specific Regt. with original chinstrap and kokarden. These are becoming extremely hard to find and are well worth the extra investment. This is one of those pieces where there is absolutely no doubt about where it came from. Brian

How right you are Brian. Perfect un-messed with condition. Brads original and it shows. By the way, thanks for the heads up on the leather preserver. I have found a UK dealer that sells the product.

Back