Baden Enlisted Private Purchase (Economy Version)

SkipperJohn

Here is a Baden privately purchased helmet made of leather with Vulkanfiber visor and neck guard:

6l1PJR5.jpg

The helmet has held it's shape well:

Hg0zHNk.jpg

The spike is excessively tall, typical for private purchased helmets of the time:

lbDaqbv.jpg

The rear spine is the enlisted, non-vented, type:

g9omc0b.jpg

The Wappen is highly detailed, extremely thin stamped brass, that retains most of it's original gilding:

x4HgK7k.jpg

From viewing the photos of the outside of the helmet most of the cost cutbacks cannot be seen; however, when one looks at the inside it becomes more evident:

uwUuwQb.jpg

The rear neck guard is not sewn around the outside edge as most privately purchased helmets would be. There is no leatherette lining on the front visor (would be green) or on the neck guard (would be red). The Vulkanfiber itself is only about 1/3 to 1/2 as thick as that on my other fiber helmets. The fiber may be some material other than Vulkanfiber since it is brown/tan on the underside instead of black. The spike studs are the bent pin type instead of screw posts which are more typical. The overall weight of this helmet is substantially less than my other fiber helmets.

The silk skull is missing, but it was most likely cotton on this helmet. Obvious cost reductions were used in this helmet's manufacture.

This is an enlisted man's helmet and it seems that very little thought was given to ever upgrading it to an officer's model. I would imagine that this would be typical of a OYV helmet. Someone who had the means could serve for one year, at an earlier age, and then go directly to the reserves rather than spending two to three years of a normal enlistment.

A very informative article on One Year Volunteers can be found here:

On59f4c.jpg

John

Last edited:
Sorry John, I don't see a vulcan fibre helmet here, perhaps the visors are VF? Your interior photo shows a typical leather shell to my eyes. V fibre helmets have black plastic like interiors. I have seen the unlined visors on private purchase helmets a few times and I would agree that this was an economy measure. Split brad stars as well, are often found on mid war helmets with zinc fittings. It is also common for these helmets to have soldered prongs/brads on the wappen. Overall though, a very nice example...love those flat M91 infantry scales!

Sorry John, I don't see a vulcan fibre helmet here, perhaps the visors are VF? Your interior photo shows a typical leather shell to my eyes. V fibre helmets have black plastic like interiors. I have seen the unlined visors on private purchase helmets a few times and I would agree that this was an economy measure. Split brad stars as well, are often found on mid war helmets with zinc fittings. It is also common for these helmets to have soldered prongs/brads on the wappen. Overall though, a very nice example...love those flat M91 infantry scales!
You are quite right. I re-read the thread I wrote and I meant to say Vulkanfiber visor and neck guard.
The leather shell is quite thin, as well, but it is not fiber.
I will edit my post.

John

Back