Baden Grenadier Regt 109 enlisted man 's helmet

Lots of Badisches Leib-Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 109 helmets. I want to be among this group soon

I've had an OR's 109th helmet on my list for years. I think they are one of the most visually appealing helmets in the Imperial Army.

Some top notch examples on display here.

Yes I have lusted after one for years. I would even be happy with just the wappen in my collection!

Last edited:
Yes I have listed after one for years. I would even be happy with just the wappen in my collection!
Brian:

Re. the Wappen. I got close. I managed to pick up a group of a dozen or so Wappens a while ago and included in the group was a Wappen to the 109th in great condition, missing the Star of the Order of Fidelity ! Just my luck.

Not surprisingly, I've had no luck finding one. I does give me another reason to scour the web looking for one though.

There was one for sale at the 2018 SOS for $600. I waffled on it for about 30 minutes, when I went back to the dealer tables it had sold! You snooze ya lose! 😕😕 2019 SOS a couple of French guys had one but they wanted $900! That’s over $1,200 in Canuck bucks so no sale.

There was one for sale at the 2018 SOS for $600. I waffled on it for about 30 minutes, when I went back to the dealer tables it had sold! You snooze ya lose! 😕😕 2019 SOS a couple of French guys had one but they wanted $900! That’s over $1,200 in Canuck bucks so no sale.
Brian, seriously, are you saying that $900 is too expensive for a R109 helmet??.. or did I miss something?
At this price you should just get a wreck, unless you are extremely lucky. Herr Weitze has 5 (!) enlisted 109ths for sale, the cheapest one at 2600 euro.

//Brian, seriously, are you saying that $900 is too expensive for a R109 helmet??.. or did I miss something?//

Finally Bruno I can say yes, you missed something. I am marking this day in my calendar!

Brian was talking about the Wappen. Not a complete helmet. Personally I haven't bought a helmet in years, as it's only the Wappen I want.

And Brian, I think I paid $1200 USD for this example and I'd do it again. $900 was a very fair price.

LGR100_2.jpg

Finally Bruno I can say yes, you missed something. I am marking this day in my calendar!

Brian was talking about the Wappen. Not a complete helmet. Personally I haven't bought a helmet in years, as it's only the Wappen I want.

And Brian, I think I paid $1200 USD for this example and I'd do it again. $900 was a very fair price.

View attachment 21727

Thank you for the correction, Tony! Stupid me, I should have read the thread carefully. Brian, my apologies for suspecting such a misevaluation of the R109 helmet market from your part. How could you?..

Bruno, that´s a great example too!!
Do you know something about the wearer? Because the Baden Kriegsstammrollen are still existing, it could be a great tracking!

My example is named two times with a Mr FALLERT. There was no FALLERT in all lists of the LGR109 during the war. The wearer was at the RJR240 that was formed at the end of August 1914 in Rastatt. The Regimentsgeschichte of the RJR240 tells us that this garrison did not have any equipment, so the near garrison of the LGR109 in Karlsruhe had to urgently help with a few trucks full with uniforms and helmets. I know another named LGR109 in collection which wearer also was in the RJR240.
Josef Fallert was taken prisoner in Paschendaele on the 20.10.14, heavy wounded. He died in Boulogne on the 21.12.14 after legs amputation...
Helmet was brought home by a guy of the "Brigade de Fusiliers Marins" from Lorient who fought in Flandern on the other side. I got the helmet 2010 direct from the family in the Bretagne.

View attachment 21692

View attachment 21693

Philippe
;)

I will try to retrieve his name, Philippe.
You found amazing information on Herr Fallert. Isnt'it strange that a soldier from an ordinary, recently created regiment could go to war wearing the helmet of the Baden army elite? I suppose they were obliged to wear an Ueberzug at all times, at least...

If anybody ever runs across an Order of Fidelity for this Wappen I'm in the market for one!

Hope springs eternal!

Attachments

• Baden 109th OR's 1985 Front.jpg
    Baden 109th OR's 1985 Front.jpg
    931.3 KB · Views: 14
I will try to retrieve his name, Philippe.
You found amazing information on Herr Fallert. Isnt'it strange that a soldier from an ordinary, recently created regiment could go to war wearing the helmet of the Baden army elite? I suppose they were obliged to wear an Ueberzug at all times, at least...
Bruno, on our french forum, we have notified something very interesting during the few last years, of course based on authentic named and tracked helmets.
So some of our members have presented following Haubes:

- another LGR109 helmet that was worn in the RJR240 too
- one LGR100 helmet worn in the RJR241
- one GR119 helmet worn in the RJR246
- one JR115 helmet worn in the RJR254
- one PB16 helmet in my collection showing two different names in it, first worn and named in the neckguard to a Pionier Vizefeldwebel early killed in action in the Argonne forest, late September 1914. His helmet was then taken from his body before he has been burried and has been sent to the near Festung of Metz where the big BA XVI dispatched the equipment to new formed units that had urgent needs of stuff. The second guy who wore this helmet has also written his rank, name, company and regiment in the front visor: an Unteroffizier of the 4/RJR236, then taken prisoner near Ypern, November 1914.
The Regimentgeschichte of the RJR236 is also mentioning that all kinds of helmets have been sent to this "poor" unit, such as dragoon, guard and police helmets. They all were hidden by the Überzug....

So my fellow collectors and I are thinking as following: after the big Marne defeat and the incredible german losses, a lot of new reserve units have been formed (RJR2XX) to participate to the "Course à la mer" (run to the see) in the direction of Ypern. All those RJR2XX units were not planed and there was a very big lack of all sort of equipments. So the best sets (Garnituren) of helmets that still were stored in the Kammer, maybe specially for some already planed parades in Paris after a quick french defeat, were then spent without counting to those young RJR2XX.

Philippe
;)

No problem Bruno. Thanks Tony I now have a better idea of what the JR 109 wappen is worth. Age of Kings does have one for sale but it has been repaired.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing, Steve.👍

Here is mine, registered R109 in time of peace, and 1GBRR109 in 1914. Like that of Philippe, circumstances of war oblige. One is an M87/M91 (tip with 6 ventilation holes) and the other is an M95, but vintage refitted with an extremely rare M87 field chinstrap.

Last photo, chin strap hook and rosette removed: we can clearly see the 2 holes for the M91-95 pins, the strapping printed in the leather, then the hole for the anti-rotation lug of the M87 hook and the oval outline of the base of the hook.
Clovis;)

Attachments

• 109RJR jug M87 à crochet.JPG
    109RJR jug M87 à crochet.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 15
  • 109RJR M95 Jug M87 de service.JPG
    109RJR M95 Jug M87 de service.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 15
  • 109RJR M95 pte 5 trous.JPG
    109RJR M95 pte 5 trous.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 14
  • 109RIR bibi IIIB 1903.JPG
    109RIR bibi IIIB 1903.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 12
  • 109RJR bibi IGBRJR1914.JPG
    109RJR bibi IGBRJR1914.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 12
  • 109R M95 Pte 87 & M91 jug87.JPG
    109R M95 Pte 87 & M91 jug87.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 14
  • 109R M95 Pte 87  & M91  jug87.JPG
    109R M95 Pte 87 & M91 jug87.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
The RIR109 was special. Only the 1st Battalion had the distinction "Grenadier". The other 2 were from the Line. This is why it reads I GrenadierBataillon Réserve Régiment 109. Concretely, only the reservists of the 1st Battalion wore the large Griffon in theory.

Below in the same helmet the mark Leib-Grenadier-Regiment of 1903 and the RIR of 1914.
And 2 photos of reservists from the 2 non-Grenadier battalions, they have the line Griffon. The first still has an M71 tip at Perlring... and it's 1914!!

Clovis 🙂

Attachments

• 109RIR bibi IIIB 1903.JPG
    109RIR bibi IIIB 1903.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 13
  • 109RJR bibi IGBRJR1914.JPG
    109RJR bibi IGBRJR1914.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 15
  • 109 RJR E.B. Bade PteM67 GriffonIR.jpg
    109 RJR E.B. Bade PteM67 GriffonIR.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 109RIR (résLGR).jpg
    109RIR (résLGR).jpg
    431.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
The RIR109 was special. Only the 1st Battalion had the distinction "Grenadier". The other 2 were from the Line. This is why it reads I GrenadierBataillon Réserve Régiment 109. Concretely, only the reservists of the 1st Battalion wore the large Griffon in theory.

Below in the same helmet the mark Leib-Grenadier-Regiment of 1903 and the RIR of 1914.
And 2 photos of reservists from the 2 non-Grenadier battalions, they have the line Griffon. The first still has an M71 tip at Perlring... and it's 1914!!

Clovis 🙂
# 109 on the shoulder straps and not the Baden 109 crown
Steve

Back