Baden Infanterie

Hello Haube-friends,

Found this one on ebay. According to interior it's an Eigentumshelm (Unterofficier?), but it's provided with Stempel??. Could you experts help me out on some questions:

1) Chinsales: should be flat?
2) Stempel and Marks: this is what I can make of it:

leftside: "KK 1901 IIK"
rightside: "IIL Kp 2..p"

I don't suppose (hope..) "KK"refers to Austria Ungary (KuK)?

3) What size and shape of the Landeskokarde do I look for, as they come in many species"?

4) The metal parts are painted with some kind of varnish, how to proceed to remove that?

Many thanks
Marcel

BadenInfanterie002.jpg

BadenInfanterie004.jpg

BadenInfanterie005.jpg

G]http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx359/vonkluck14/Baden%20Infanterie/BadenInfanterie001.jpg[/IM

[img]http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx359/vonkluck14/Baden%20Infanterie/BadenInfanterie003.jpg

BadenInfanterie001.jpg

There are many strange things about this helmet which are not good.....convex chinscales on an infantry helmet, an OR's rear spine with ventilation slide on a private purchase officer style helmet. The rear spine also does not fit the helmet where it is supposed to curve over the rear visor. It is broken off and if you look at the size of the hole in the rear visor, originally there was a real officer spine there with a small hole piercing. The missing real officer spine is also confirmed by the 2 empty holes in the rear of the shell. These were for the screw posts of the original officer spine that would have been on this helmet. We also see stitch holes in the shell on the underside from the rear to the front....since when do we ever see, that? Certainly not on a piece that was supposedly private purchase and therefore more expensive. Regarding the helmet plate, it appears to be screw post but with large washers, why the large washers? Look at the size of the holes in the shell, have they been enlarged so that this wappen fits? I would check the colour on the solder around the screw posts.
Regarding the varnish on the fittings...take them off of the helmet, use paint remover to remove the varnish, polish the brass then put them back on. My apologies, but to me this helmet states that it has been messed with......a fabrication. Sorry, B

Could this be a reworked late Raupenhelm? I don't have any in my collection, so don't know how they were sewn on. Is there a repair up on the left side where the cockade would've been?
A lot of unexplained about this one.

Ron

It is an officer shell with the officer sweat band, red and green visors. The visor trim also seems to be of the narrower officer type. The spike base rim if you look closely is also non regulation and therefore private purchase. Are there extra holes behind the wappen?? Or have those holes been enlarged because of the large washers as I suggested? I have no idea about the stampings....perhaps whoever put this together added them for more realism? They definately do not belong on a private purchase helmet.

There are no double holes, but washers are glued on.. All in all not a good purchase, the pictures where more or less misleading. The E Bay seller is "Regantiko", I won't be purchasing anything again from this fellow..

Anyhow, I will add a correct officers spine, remove the markings, clean the metal, put on correct chinsales etc etc... It could make a nice combination after all, as the leather is of good quality, as is the Wappen.

Thanks for your professional comments, I'm still learning all the time!

Marcel

Removed the varnish, polished all the metal parts, fixed a proper rear spine, removed the markings on the rear visor, and added the Kokarden (the Landeskokarde is a replica for now, so if any one has a genuine spare he would be willing to part from?).

The pickel that came with this helmet revealed a non matching shine with the spikebase after polishing, so i fixed a matching spine that's slightly higher, but fits properly.

The leather is in superb condition, and i'm quite sure that the Greif belongs to this haube, it perfectly follows the curves of the haube.

All in all i'm quite pleased with the result, although it's a compilation up to a certain level..

happy new year to you all!!

Marcel

2011BadenTrain051.jpg

2011BadenTrain048.jpg

2011BadenTrain047.jpg

2011BadenTrain049.jpg

2011BadenTrain053.jpg

Marcel, why did you not put the rounded spike base brads back on? they were correct for this Pickelhaube. And you removed the stamps on the rear visor? Really?

Tony,

Two of the spike base brads broke at dissambling, they already were in a bad condition, so I replaced them all four.

As for the stamps and markings: I am pretty sure they have nothing to do with this helmet. They don't make any sense at all. Beside that it's an Eigentumshelm.

Marcel

Back