Baden Pickelhaube

wihu61

looks good in total but:

kokarden on the wrong side, inside doesn't look like officer's liner to me
any idea???

That is your typical parts helmet. An issued shell has had all officer parts put on it. Probably two trashed helmets put together to get one helmet by someone who does not know any better. The usualy excuse is "field promotion" which is laughable. This will sell of course. Oh, and welcome to the Forum. T

Transitional?

I know a bit about Pickelhauben (I own 2 myself (Preussen Feldgrau + Würtemberg Eigentumshelm) though I am not not a collector) but I`m not English (Holland).

Does the word transitional mean anything in relation to the state of this suspicious Baden-Offizierspickelhaube?

HW

HW No it is a joke. You often see desriptions that say transitional helmet which normally is a very bad sign. As Tony said, this Baden is a put together helmet. Run away from it.
VR/Joe

Good morning, Joe, Tony. Welcome, HW.

A Devil's Advocate question, here: If this helmet weren't to move too far from its current price (EUR210.00), would it have value for parts?

Cheers,

Laurie

Laurie-

I will put my 2 cents in, yes!

I think if it stayed around this price, you have some good parts that if you tried to buy by themselves would cost you more!

James

Thanks guys. I won't be going there myself, I thought it worth making the point, though.

Cheers,

Laurie

Reserve cross + Motto scroll again. Is it just my skewed perception or did'nt Baden give a monkey's about regulations and stuff?

Is it just my skewed perception or did'nt Baden give a monkey's about regulations and stuff?
There are an awful lot of these. Indeed, there may be more of these than the ones done the correct way. [I'm only talking about wappen with landwehr crosses not chop job helmets.].

I have one of these as an officer helmet, and it is clearly a Diensthelmet I think. My thought on this is that they were a one year volunteer, served with an active unit as per normal, passed into the reserve keeping the helmet that they bought and upon commissioning changed what ever items did not fit the officer mold on the helmet and added a landwehr cross. This would give them a helmet with a landwehr cross and a motto. Prussians had three different kinds of officer Eagles, Baden seems to of had two. You often see the Prussian active the eagle with a landwehr cross and Bando. Why do you see more of these and Baden then in Prussia? I don't know. I'm working on the attachment of the landwehr crosses. Obscure stuff that I'm sure we'll make Chas's eyes roll some more. In Baden for instance, there are three locations for the crosses and therefore three different ways to attach them. The one in the item is in the upper position, which required from two to four holes to be drilled in the wappen and then the prongs passed into the holes and bent back. Sometimes with sometimes without solder. The one below has the cross in the middle position. Two holes with the bottom prongs bent back. I'm still looking for a picture of the back of a bottom mounted landwehr cross on Baden wappen.
wappen.jpg
A Prussian Bando with a cross.
wappen.jpg

This one hasn't moved much, I guess people caught on. I won't be chasing it but if anyone wants a parts helmet, here's a good chance.

Cheers,

Laurie

Mike called it. The fun sure went out of this one. Goes to show there are a few dumb ones left in the herd.

Cheers,

Laurie

You would'nt knowingly pay that for a parts-pickle surely? Are the sum of the parts worth that much? I know it's hard to find anything decent nowadays but ............. :roll:

Trouble is..........I never know when you are serious Gus.This gives me the chance to employ my current fave phrase. I know it's not a... "high ticket 'haube!"..... but could'nt that dosh be put towards something that hasent been screwed with?

Trouble is..........I never know when you are serious Gus.
Maggie says that she has that problem too. It is nice to know that I am not that crazy after all, as I too have the same trouble.
Gus

Yeah, but I know you were being serious on this one Gus - so there.

Anyhow, can anyone tell me what the hell a 'Floogal-adjutant' is? I see it a few times in these books we all have.I heard of an adjutant but..... I thought 'Floogal' was one of the "Banana Splits". Or is 'Floogal-Fish' that Japanese dish that can kill you? I'm confused.

Anyhow, can anyone tell me what the hell a 'Floogal-adjutant' is? I see it a few times in these books we all have.I heard of an adjutant but..... I thought 'Floogal' was one of the "Banana Splits". Or is 'Floogal-Fish' that Japanese dish that can kill you? I'm confused.
I do not understand why people think I am the unstable one.
Gus

Back