Baden Tin

pickelhauben

A little price rough and kind of rare .

I am in a payment plan right now so I can not afford this.

If it were about $200 cheaper and a little more paint I think that I would be on this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WWI-Baden-Ersatz-Steel-Pickelhaube-Helmet-RARE-Complete-German/222792338604?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just my opinion, but I do not think this one is all right?

I think shell liner are real, but wrong wappen on front, I believe the markings on the inside would not be for a Baden unit?

Also, bad chinstrap

James

J.LeBrasseur said:
Just my opinion, but I do not think this one is all right?

I think shell liner are real, but wrong wappen on front, I believe the markings on the inside would not be for a Baden unit?

Also, bad chinstrap

James

I would tend to agree. With BA VII markings I would think that it should have a Prussian Wappen.
However, all of the parts except the chinstrap appear original, and helmets were often sent to other units after repair.
I have a JR111 with a Prussian Wappen after it was re-issued from a BKA and stamped with an "f". This helmet was re-stamped with a Prussian unit.

This helmet is overpriced based on condition in my opinion.

John :(

Also note the KoKarde; 1 Baden and 1 Prussian. Can anyone make out what is written under the mane Hoffman? Looks like 4. Pors. L. Abt. to me. What is that?

On another group I have seen this one discussed as well, and the opinions are the same as here. Stamped BIA VII it can't reasonably have a Baden Wappen. But... but... but... as John writes: helmets were often sent to other units after repair. It's stamped Bekleidungs Instandsetzung Amt - could it be that after repair or maintenance it finished up with a Baden regiment?

Considering how rusted the helmet is and clean the plate is, I'd say it's a mismatch on that evidence as well.

:D Ron

Considering that the seller bought it himself only a week ago at an antiques shop for $350 (!!!), and considering that before he bought it he was made very much aware (by others and myself) of the discrepancy between the Prussian BA stamp and the Baden plate but does not mention this in his sales talk, my opinion is that this seller needs to be given a wide berth.

poniatowski said:
Considering how rusted the helmet is and clean the plate is, I'd say it's a mismatch on that evidence as well.

:D Ron

I wanted to leave the same comment, but Ron was faster.
Wrong plate, wrong cockades, wrong chinstrap... what is left??.. a rusted tin shell.

Well, at least I seem to have done something good (grin)! After preaching the fear of the Lord into the seller in the forum where he was (before he put it up for sale) informed that this helmet is not alright, I noticed that he did not only remove his thread there (grin), but he also changed his description on eBay into something more truthful.

It's sad though that there are "collectors" who first ask "What do you think about this?", subsequently are informed that the helmet is cobbled together from mismatched and contradictory parts, and then still put it on eBay as a completely genuine, totally original, and extremely rare helmet.

Anyway, so many people became pissed off at him in the other forum, that he changed the part "(...) it is complete and incredibly rare, as of now the only one on Ebay (...)" of his description as follows (I put the changes in bold type):

Up for sale is a World War 1 Ersatz Steel Pickelhaube Helmet. This pickelhaube would have been produced right before the M16 steel helmet. I have been told this is a Prussian pickelhaube due to the unit stamping on the shell, with the original front Baden plate and original Baden cockade added later on. The original chinstrap seems to be an M16 helmet chinstrap but original. The Baden cockade is loose due to chinstrap end, probably can be pressed in with a little force. Everything else is secure. I have been told BIA VII is for "Bekleidungs Instandsetzung Amt VII" and G for "Garnisonsdienstbrauchbar". Stamping on the lining appears to say "Albert Schaab Kreuz---- I.W."

I'm happy to see that even newcomers to the enchanting world of Pickelhaubes now have sufficient information to understand that what's offered is, in the immortal words of 911car: "Wrong plate, wrong cockades, wrong chinstrap... what is left??.. a rusted tin shell".

aicusv said:
Can anyone make out what is written under the mane Hoffman? Looks like 4. Pors. L. Abt. to me.

For sure, it´s first "4. Korp.(oralschaft)". Then, no idea :cry:

But as already written above, this helmet is a kind of [-X

Philippe
:wink:

I'm happy to see that even newcomers to the enchanting world of Pickelhaubes now have sufficient information to understand that what's offered is, in the immortal words of 911car: "Wrong plate, wrong cockades, wrong chinstrap... what is left??.. a rusted tin shell".

I well remember when that was not the case. We have come a long way pilgrims. I remember being told by a senior collector that you could never figure out the markings. :bravo:

"Wrong plate, wrong cockades, wrong chinstrap... what is left??.. a rusted tin shell"... and still someone bought it for US $799.99 :(

Back