Bavaria police Pickelhaube

Destruction

Gentlemen,
Is this a good one? Looks promising IMO but pickelhaubes were not my cup of tea up to this moment, so I might be mistaken :) Chin strap is a replacement?
Many thanx in advance for your time, and sorry for poor photos.

Best!
Serg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    870.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    579.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    993.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    732.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    659.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    832.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    529.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    871.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    677.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    790.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    1,016.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    919.5 KB · Views: 35
Serge.

This helmet is correctly set up as a Bavarian Police Pickelhaube. I cannot tell if the fittings are brass or white metal. If brass this is Gendarmerie, if white metal municipal police. The spike is distinctive to this style of Bavarian helmet as are the lions and the small Bavarian cockade on the left side. The chinstrap is a later replacement and is wrong for this helmet. There was a large and a small Wappenshild and this looks like the larger one as it does not seem to fit very well scrunched up over the spike base. Perhaps a replacement as well.

I hope this is helpful

Serge.

This helmet is correctly set up as a Bavarian Police Pickelhaube. I cannot tell if the fittings are brass or white metal. If brass this is Gendarmerie, if white metal municipal police. The spike is distinctive to this style of Bavarian helmet as are the lions and the small Bavarian cockade on the left side. The chinstrap is a later replacement and is wrong for this helmet. There was a large and a small Wappenshild and this looks like the larger one as it does not seem to fit very well scrunched up over the spike base. Perhaps a replacement as well.

I hope this is helpful
Good afternoon,
And thank you so much! for detailed review!
So to sum up, chin strap is just a random later addition (out of nowhere), while such Wappenschilds were basically authentic for such Pickelhaubes (one of 2 types used), but might be a replacement because of a bad fitting. Did I get it right?
Thank you again!

Best!
Serge

This is my Bavarian Gendarmerie helmet All original but does have a big space under the wappen. Maybe mine has the small size or was just put on a bit high? Only one set of holes for the wappen.

Even has the name of the owner.

Attachments

• IMG_0951.jpeg
    IMG_0951.jpeg
    131.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0949.jpeg
    IMG_0949.jpeg
    54.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0948.jpeg
    IMG_0948.jpeg
    50.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0942.jpeg
    IMG_0942.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0947.jpeg
    IMG_0947.jpeg
    60.3 KB · Views: 17
Peter, your Bavarian Gendarmerie helmet is set up correctly. Yours has the correct chin strap and Wappen.

Serge, you got it right. If you have access to the helmet look to see if it has one set of holes for the attachment of the Wappen like Peter's helmet does. The Wappen should also be centered on the front lobe of the spike base. It may well just look off becuse of age and shrinkage or it may be a sign of a replaced wappen. You would need a hands on inspection or better photos. The chin strap looks like it may be off a Fireman (Feuerwehr) leather helmet from what I can see.

Again, I hope this is helpful.

Peter, your Bavarian Gendarmerie helmet is set up correctly. Yours has the correct chin strap and Wappen.

Serge, you got it right. If you have access to the helmet look to see if it has one set of holes for the attachment of the Wappen like Peter's helmet does. The Wappen should also be centered on the front lobe of the spike base. It may well just look off becuse of age and shrinkage or it may be a sign of a replaced wappen. You would need a hands on inspection or better photos. The chin strap looks like it may be off a Fireman (Feuerwehr) leather helmet from what I can see.

Again, I hope this is helpful.
More than helpful, thank you so much!
There is only one set of holes for the Wappen, but it's definitely was messed with as it's fixed on one side by a piece of wood. The other side is hold be a piece of leather, is it the way it has to be?
Other accessories elements are secured by similar leather cotters.

Attachments

• I_1.jpg
    I_1.jpg
    598.8 KB · Views: 6
  • I_2.jpg
    I_2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • I_3.jpg
    I_3.jpg
    661.5 KB · Views: 7
  • I_4.jpg
    I_4.jpg
    742.1 KB · Views: 5
The piece of leather is the correct way the wappen would be fixed. I geuss one of them got missing, which is common unfortunately.

Your helmet is fine, except for the chinstrap. In brass it's a gendarme, in nickel silver it's a Royal policeman. The front plate is different from the military plate. For the gendarmerie and the police, the central fold of the headband (Fest) is thicker and lower than that of the army. The point is the M78 light horse, reformed in 1886 but transferred to the Police and Gendarmerie.
P1010119.JPG
P1010126.JPG

P1010127.JPG
BayGend  pointe M78 Kavallerie.JPGP1010132.JPG

Back