Bavarian 9th Infantry Regt.

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
It is rare for a helmet to be clearly named in this hobby. However, with this piece which was purchased at the SOS and given to me for some finish work we have the private purchase helmet of Einj. Freiw. Kaebel 2 Komp. 9th Inf. Regt. a second exceptional part of this story is that the haube came with it's matching numbered uberzug. I believe this was shown in my SOS pics but I will post it here as well. From the outside except for the custom strap this looks like any other Bav M95. The liner and laundry cloth laundry tag tell us something else.
IMG_1117.JPG
IMG_1116.JPG
Obviously, we need for some of our members to track down EF Kaebel.
IMG_1135.JPG
IMG_1136.JPG
IMG_1137.JPG
I know one of our members in particular, would kill to own this helmet but such was not meant to be at SOS 2020. :)
My task is to smooth out the visors and add a bit of finish. The matching uberzug stuck to the shellac and created this problem.

As promised, this helme mit uberzug:
IMG_1035.JPG
IMG_1039.JPG
IMG_1040.JPG
It will be very interesting to see what our members can find out about the owner of this helmet. The red numeral indicates a prewar uberzug, as we all know they switched to green numbers early in the war and then did away with any kind of numbered cover entirely. We know, that the helmet was private purchase but the uberzug looks like an issued piece as it has the stitched brass hooks to secure it to the helmet. There were no ink stamped markings on the inside of this cover. :???:

I could not read all, but this is what I found:
Erwin Kaebel was born on 29.8.1890 in Hagen. He was a Master-Lacquer (Malermeister) and married with Käte ?Costa?
1910-12 he served in the 39. Infantry-Reg., 3rd Komp. He has been called for military service against France on 3.8.1914 and served in the 1. Infantry-Regiment.
He was wounded at the right shoulder on 28. Aug. 1915 by an Explosive-Bullet, so he came to the military hospital in Peronne 1 day later.
On 15.9.1915 he has been sent to a Reservehospital in Aachen, but on 10.10.1915 he was moved to the reserve hospital in Berlin for a short time. On 11.12.1915 he came back to Aachen again. The wound seems to have been really bad, because on 1.3.16 he was again transferred to another hospital (? Gelsenkirchen?)
On 1.7.1916 he entered the 9th Infantry Regiment as a OYV.
On 3.3.1917 he was assigned to work for the company „August Bisterfeld“ in Hagen, where he remained until 31.3.1917, when he was released from military service.
019CC7B7-E20D-4AA1-8B6C-75E3450FB5CC.jpeg
Hope I read and interpreted all correctly. Please feel free to correct me if I wrote something wrong :wink:

b.loree said:
// From the outside except for the custom strap this looks like any other Bav M95. //

Not a custom chinstrap Brian. Remember that when Bayern Reserve Troops adopted the M1896 Foot troops Pickelhaube, a large number of chinscales from the M1886 Pickelhaube were converted into leather chinstraps to fit the new chinstrap mounts. The initial Bayern M1896 straps had single buckle with a leather slide and different mounts where it attached to the helmet lugs. This fellow below is wearing an early Bayern 1896 Foot Troops Pickelhaube with the first pattern (converted) Bayern M1896 chinstrap.

Very rare to find an example. :thumb up:

Bayern_Strap.jpg

b.loree said:
I know one of our members in particular, would kill to own this helmet but such was not meant to be at SOS 2020. :)
My task is to smooth out the visors and add a bit of finish. The matching uberzug stuck to the shellac and created this problem.

Yes, Brian I would love to have that helmet!!

So cool, Tony is dead on with the chinstrap, perfectly fine.

James

Sandmann said:
I could not read all, but this is what I found:
Erwin Kaebel was born on 29.8.1890 in Hagen. He was a Master-Lacquer (Malermeister) and married with Käte ?Costa?
1910-12 he served in the 39. Infantry-Reg., 3rd Komp. He has been called for military service against France on 3.8.1914 and served in the 1. Infantry-Regiment.
He was wounded at the right shoulder on 28. Aug. 1915 by an Explosive-Bullet, so he came to the military hospital in Peronne 1 day later.
On 15.9.1915 he has been sent to a Reservehospital in Aachen, but on 10.10.1915 he was moved to the reserve hospital in Berlin for a short time. On 11.12.1915 he came back to Aachen again. The wound seems to have been really bad, because on 1.3.16 he was again transferred to another hospital (? Gelsenkirchen?)
On 1.7.1916 he entered the 9th Infantry Regiment as a OYV.
On 3.3.1917 he was assigned to work for the company „August Bisterfeld“ in Hagen, where he remained until 31.3.1917, when he was released from military service.
019CC7B7-E20D-4AA1-8B6C-75E3450FB5CC.jpeg
Hope I read and interpreted all correctly. Please feel free to correct me if I wrote something wrong :wink:

Sandy, I also had a look to the Bayern Kriegsstammrollen. This is not this guy because he entered the KB JR9 very late in July 1916. There were no red numbers anymore at this time on Überzüge...And this guy never was a OYV, he entered as a "Genesender" the I EB ( I Ersatz-Bataillon) of the KBJR9, Genesungskompanie (convalescence company) and moved then to the 4th company of this same Ersatz Bataillon.
He left the army on the 31.3.17 because of military unability.

The wearer was another (unknown) Bavarian which has done his military duty as a OYV in peace time.

Philippe
:wink:

My thanks to you both for your research efforts. It makes sense that as a private purchase, the owner would have kept his helmet and uberzug after his service was complete.

@ Philippe: Many thanks for your correction, I didn‘t know this with the red numbers of the covers :)
I saw the roman 1 and something like an „E“ before the Regiment and acted too hastily. I couldn‘t imagine that 2 soldiers with the same name served in the same regiment, but it seems I was wrong :(
But on the other hand, when I now think about it again, it was nothing special to that time that the 1st son of a men had the same name as the father...

Back