Bavarian Adjutant General

Zorndorf

Gentlemen:

I would appreciate an opinion on this Bavarian Adjutant General's helmet:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=6613276860

I have no interest in bidding but a good friend of mine has. Given what such a helmet would command from a reputable dealer, I would like to give my friend the benefit of the forum's advice. I compared the offering to Didier Lane's description in his well respected L'Armee Allemande en 1914 on page 12 and in Thomas Stubbs' Imperial German Military Officers' Helmets & Head Dress 1871-1918 pages 59-65. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Mit freundlich grussen!
Zorndorf

Zorndorf said:
Gentlemen:

I have no interest in bidding but a good friend of mine has. Given what such a helmet would command from a reputable dealer, I would like to give my friend the benefit of the forum's advice. I compared the offering to Didier Lane's description in his well respected L'Armee Allemande en 1914 on page 12 and in Thomas Stubbs' Imperial German Military Officers' Helmets & Head Dress 1871-1918 pages 59-65. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Mit freundlich grussen!
Zorndorf

I was looking at this one myself. :)
2 big red flags right off the bat: :eek:

1. As Ersatzboy mentioned below, this a a new eBayer with 0 feedback (that's enough to make me pass). :p
2. He started the bidding low with no reserve. Kinda odd for a frosh seller.

Those 2 combined have me taking a pass, even though (what I can see from the pics), the helmet looks O.K. -(the body needs a bit of TLC).

Zorndorf said:
Gentlemen:

Mit freundlich grussen!
Zorndorf

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOOK AT WHERE THIS GUY GOT HIS PICS!!!!!

http://www.pickelhauben.net/pickelhaube/BavarianGeneral.htm

I have sent this to the "seller"

My Messages: Ask a Question

Note: The user you are contacting is registered on another eBay site and may speak a different language. Your message will be sent exactly as typed below.

To: dirkd8817

Item: Bavarian Pickelhaube (General Adjutant ) (6613276860)
Subject: General question about this item Question about shipping for this item Question about how to pay for this item Question about combined shipping for multiple items

Hi you,
How you are selling a helmet that belongs to a friend of me?!!!!!!!!!!!!!

916 characters left.
Note: The seller may include your question in the item description.

Rendsburg said:
The helmet belongs to Joe!!!
Stay away!!!
Otto :x :twisted: :ANGRY: :-x

Maybe it's Joe selling his Bavarian General's helmet for a few hundred bucks???? :D :D :D

No, This guy is 'dirk-8817', - the handle would have to be 'birk-8817' in that case. :bom:
I guess this Dork, 'dirk' is also '7481tino' who listed Joe's Meck and 'FWR" helm's?

It amazes me how this guy keeps popping up because, at least theoretically, eBay has enough information on the person who opens an account to trace him - a "hard" email address (not hotmail or whatever) and a credit card number.

It would seem that little or no effort is being put into tracking down the culprit.

Going back to 'haubes for a moment, I was looking at the cockades for this helmet. The left is a very nice example of a Bavarian officer's cockade, with the applique, single trough of blue against the white background.

The National cockade confuses me somewhat, though. its applique ring is the two-ring NCO (sorry, using shorthand) style rather than the three-ring officer style. What am I missing?

Cheers,

Laurie

Gentlemen:

Many thanks for your collective efforts. Now we all know why the helmet passed our collective scrutiny but why the seller's bona fides didn't. Who would have thopught to look at Tony or Joe's websites to see if images were stolen? This kind of puts a dent in what little faith one has left in ebay doesn't it?

Best regards to all for your comments and help to my friend Eric.

Sincerely, Zorndorf

Hi Guys,
I have send this email to eBay, let's see what they do...or answer me.
Otto

Message (1 of 5) Print

Copy to: --Folder-- Inbox My Folder 1

Subject: You suspect that a listing is fraudulent you didn't bid Received: Mar-14-06
To: eBay

Listing Violations > Fraudulent listings (illegal seller demands, you didn't receive item, etc) > You suspect that a listing is fraudulent you didn't bid

Item number(s):

That's a fraudulent auction. The seller is using photos and description of an item tht belongs to a friend of me. A seller with 0 feedback and a shill bidder(i suspect) with 0 feedback. That's very iregular and a danger for your company. We need to clean the disonestity of the net.
You can confirm that I said viewing my friends site:
http://www.pickelhauben.net/pickelhaube/BavarianGeneral.htm

:-? Answer of eBay:

Thank you for writing eBay's SafeHarbor Department about a listing or
seller you would like us to investigate for fraudulent activity. We are
concerned about this type of activity and want to assure you that we
will review your report as soon as possible, usually within 24 hours.

Due to privacy concerns, we will not keep you informed about the status
of our investigation. While you will only receive this acknowledgement
of the receipt of your report, please be assured that we will thoroughly
review the situation.

IMPORTANT:

The subject line you chose on the webform is reserved for reporting
current items that may be listed for the purpose of committing fraud.

In order for us to dedicate resources to preventing this type of
situation in a timely manner, reports directed to this area that do not
relate to current listings that may be fraudulent (including reports of
listing violations and reports about items that may be prohibited) will
not be forwarded to another department or answered. Other questions or
concerns should be sent to us from the page below:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/contact_us/_base/index.html

We appreciate the time you took to contact us. To promote a safe trading
environment for the eBay community, we prohibit users from engaging in
any type of unlawful activity on the eBay web site and are dedicated to
investigating such situations.

**Please do not respond to this email as your reply will not be
received.

Best regards,

eBay SafeHarbor Team

HI GUYS...
Mark "mravery", is bidding...I don't have his email...if you have inform him about Joe's helmet...!!!
Otto

Hey Guys,

I would like to thank everyone for the 'heads up' on the helmet...... withing the past 12 hours I have recieved 6 e-mails warning me that it belongs to Joe.....

I thought I had seen it before (helmet with the chip out of the shield) but I was not sure of where I had seen it.

Has Joe been informed of this yet....... cause if he wants to sell it for my high bid.. I would be more than happy to send him the $300 right away :D

Again.. many thanks for the notes and the watching out for each other... This is what collecting SHOULD be all bout .... Thumbs up everyone !!!

Cheers !
Mark

Result of our efforts... :eek:

home | pay | register | site map
Advanced Search

Hello! Sign in or register.

Back to item description
Unknown Item
Sorry, the item 6613276860 does not appear to be a valid number on eBay.com. Please go back and try again.

...about the French helmet auction:

This Listing Is Unavailable

This listing (#6612156923) has been removed or is no longer available. Please make sure you entered the right item number.

If the listing was removed by eBay, consider it canceled. Note: Listings that have ended more than 90 days ago will no longer appear on eBay.

Try searching for another item now.

Back