Bavarian & Beamte Off. M1897 Pickelhauben

RON

My only 2 Officer Pickelhauben thus far...
Bavarian Chevauxleger Off. M1897:
Pickelhaube-BavarianLightCavalryOfficer-M1897a.jpg

Pickelhaube-BavarianLightCavalryOfficer-M1897b.jpg

Pickelhaube-BavarianLightCavalryOfficer-M1897d.jpg

Prussian Beamte Off. M1897:
Pickelhaube-PrussianMilitaryAdministrationOfficer-M1897a.jpg

Pickelhaube-PrussianMilitaryAdministrationOfficer-M1897b.jpg

Pickelhaube-PrussianMilitaryAdministrationOfficer-M1897d.jpg

Enjoy!

I also have 2 EM M1915 Pickelhaubes which totals 4 Picks to this date & 1 M1910 NCO Artillery Schirmmütze.
Now fishing for M1915 Cavalry Metalhelmes (Light & Heavy) and an M1910 or 1915 Infantry Schirmmütze while aiming to focus on WW1 only (any nice German headgear used from 1914 till 1918).
Thanks for your feedback gentlemen; always appreciated from experts like yourselves! :)

Very nice indeed!

When I started collecting (just out of high school), I bought a real dog or two, and still have them... (they make good forms for uberzugen... uberzuge? COVERS.) But I agree, quality is important; especially in the officer helmets. Some of the 1915 other ranks are cool with the wear and tear they received, as well as the ways they were assembled (slightly crooked, off center).
It all depends... now a helmet has to be either very good or 'speak to me' for some reason. I also have my wants list that I no longer stray from, instead of just 'buying helmets'.

:D Ron

I guess one has to rationalize / optimize their budget and focus... Unless you wake up one day and realize you're as rich as the Egyptian dictator and then all you need to do is click 'BUY ALL' in each and every Militaria site out there and afterwards sort out your toys and decide what you're keeping and what you're dumping in the recycling bin...
Here's a recent family portrait of my 4 picks. The Saxon M15 EM is in near mint condition including liner but is still in need of a worthy strap.
PickelhaubenGrouping-Dec10.jpg

Nice collection! I think the wine glass is a better choice for a stand than the heads...

http://pickelhaubes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5111

Cheers! :D

Ron

Thanks everyone; makes me happy to have spent my money wisely.

Nice collection! I think the wine glass is a better choice for a stand than the heads...

Ron: My display heads are covered with some sort of velvet; would that be as bad as styrofoam?

If Ron means that a neutral stand looks much better that your display heads, I agree with him.
By the way, nice helmets! Congratulations.
Bruno

Hello guys,
I'm thinking of upgrading my M1897 Bavarian Pickelhaube (pictures above) with a Trichter.
Would the below fit/match my helmet? Seller says it's WW1 Officer for "Pickelhaube Artillerie Bayern o Musick" and made of Buffalo Hair...
Any tips/leads on this one?
BayernTrichter-2.jpg

BayernTrichter-3.jpg

BayernTrichter-5.jpg

BayernTrichter-4.jpg

BayernTrichter-1.jpg

Ron: This is not the correct trichter for a Bavarian officer's helmet. A Bavarian trichter should be fluted like the spike.

Reservist1

RON said:
Hello guys,
Would the below fit/match my helmet? Seller says it's WW1 Officer for "Pickelhaube Artillerie Bayern o Musick" and made of Buffalo Hair...

Not sure about the trichter, it looks to be a Prussian style trichter and if you were looking to mix it up with a Bavarian helmet it might fit but might not be correct. Bavarian trichters had the same "fluted" effect as the spike. Red plumes where worn in the Bavarian army but not as musicians and yes they were worn on the Chevaulegers Regiments. In your case you have a Chevaulegers regt. 2, 4, 6, 8 and all had red plumes for parade. Is the ebay trichter gold? or silver? All Artillerie Regt used gold fittings. needs to be silver for your helmet and should be fluted in shape.

Back