Bavarian ersatz filz.

coert65

Today, the Bavarian ersatz filz helmet I bought from a forum member came in.
It was smudged, and has some cracks in it, but all original.
I started cleaning it, but I am not finished with it yet. I fitted some repro kokarden to it, and a repro chinstrap, as I have no originals.
It has a steel band, to keep it in shape, were the liner stitches are, I never saw that before, but it may be the cause it is still in a good shape.
Here some crappy pictures of it.
Bavarian ersatz filz1.jpgBavarian ersatz filz2.jpgBavarian ersatz filz3.jpgBavarian ersatz filz4.jpg
I am very happy with it, a nice addition to my collection!
Regards, Coert.

Thanks! The liner is also intact, but there are no markings in it, not even a makers mark. I even looked on the inside of the liner, as I know some makers marked them there, but none to be found.

Today, the Bavarian ersatz filz helmet I bought from a forum member came in.
It was smudged, and has some cracks in it, but all original.
I started cleaning it, but I am not finished with it yet. I fitted some repro kokarden to it, and a repro chinstrap, as I have no originals.
It has a steel band, to keep it in shape, were the liner stitches are, I never saw that before, but it may be the cause it is still in a good shape.
Here some crappy pictures of it.
View attachment 18612View attachment 18613View attachment 18614View attachment 18615
I am very happy with it, a nice addition to my collection!
Regards, Coert.
Looks great!

Thanks for the nice comments guy's! I will clean the helmet some more tomorrow, all though most of the polishing smudge is already removed, there is still some left. That has to go too. But it is to dark now to do more, so tomorrow I will go further with this, already nice, filz.

Regards, Coert. :)

Nice hat! I would love to see a photo of the metal band inside the helmet...never seen or heard of that before.

Nice hat! I would love to see a photo of the metal band inside the helmet...never seen or heard of that before.
Tomorrow I will make some photo's of it Brian, you can see a bit of it in the sellers topic however.
But I will make some extra pictures tomorrow, this band is going all the way around inside the helmet. This is a first for me too.
I saw lots of filz ersatz helmets, but not 1 of them had that band on the inside.

But this helmet is the largest I have now. There are no markings in it, but it is larger in size than my other Haubes..
And my largest so far, is marked 57,5. The Saxon M15, on the shelf below the Bavarian..
Bavarian ersatz..jpg

Well, as you all probably know, the helmet was quite heavily polished, most remains have already gone.
The wappen for instance looked like this when I bought it:
Bavarian filz wappen..JPG
Full of remains of polish.
Now it is all gone, looks clean again! Tomorrow I will post pictures of how it looks now, it is too dark now for reasonable photo's so when I get back from work tomorrow, I will make some daylight pictures of it, also of the steel band inside, which runs all around the helmet shell.
Even the sideposts for the chinstrap are attached through it.
So more pictures tomorrow friends.

Regards, Coert.

Well guy's, you will have to wait for those pictures, I made them, but cannot get them on my computer. Yesterday all was well, but now I get the message "sending has failed". I tried all I can, but as I'm no computer wizard at all, things may have to wait a while..

Sorry about that.

Well, after some actions I managed to get 1 picture, via my google account.
Will go further tomorrow, but, as I am before the internet, and not so good with things like that, will try later on.
Here is the wappen now, after some cleaning. It shines a bit to much, but I know it will improve later on. At least all the residue of the polishing
has gone now.
Ersatz filz helmet !.jpgErsatz filz helmet !.jpg

Last edited:
Back