Bavarian ersatz spiked helmet

This one is not bad. There are some damages badly repaired. It was smudged with polish near the metal parts.
What's the metal band you can see near the interior wappen's holes?

This one is not bad. There are some damages badly repaired. It was smudged with polish near the metal parts.
What's the metal band you can see near the interior wappen's holes?
Zeb,
How would you repair the damaged portions of the felt part of the pickelhaube? I appreciate any help you can provide.
Best regards,
John

John, the cracked body felt is complete.
Two or three sewing stiches with a thin tread of the same color of feld may be sufficient..
A little glue only on the edges of the crack. To finish a bit of felt dust to close externally the crack.
Zeb.

Zeb
Thank you for that bit advice on a repair on such a Pickelhaube. I will put the information in my memory banks in case I require it some day.
Best regards
John

I have submitted a few restorations of felt helmets on the restoration thread.

I am presently working on one with SEVERAL TEARS that I have yet to finish.
pickelhauben,
I look forward to seeing your repairs of this fragile and expensive Pickelhauben.
Best regards,
John

pickelhauben,
I look forward to seeing your repairs of this fragile and expensive Pickelhauben.
Best regards,
John
So would I, as the felt helmet is on its way to me.
I can't wait for it to arrive! I will try cleaning the smudges from it, gently remove the rests of cleaning substance from the wappen, and figure out which glue to use, and find some thin thread suitable for it.

Regards, Coert.

So would I, as the felt helmet is on its way to me.
I can't wait for it to arrive! I will try cleaning the smudges from it, gently remove the rests of cleaning substance from the wappen, and figure out which glue to use, and find some thin thread suitable for it.

Regards, Coert.
Good luck Coert! I‘m looking forward to see your results :)

Thanks Sandy!
I will post more, when this nice filz ersatz arrives here. I really like it, I owned a Prussian one before, but that one was in a worser state.
But I liked it anyway, they are easily damaged, and after more than a 100 years, can get worse when not keeped well, unfortunately.
This Bavarian one is way better than the Prussian one I owned before. Even with those cracks in it.
It will look nice besides my Bavarian M15 and my Bavarian Bing helmet.

Regards, Coert. :)

Well today the Bavarian filz arrived here! About 2 hours ago, so I started cleaning. Not really finished yet, but it looks like it will be fine!
I fitted some repro kokarden to it, and a repro chinstrap. As I have no original examples here, but the kokarden will be retouched by a friend who does a lot of modelling projects, just like I did years ago. So they will be aged, later on.
Some pictures, remember I only did some cleaning on it..and am not finished with it. ;)
Bavarian ersatz filz1.jpgBavarian ersatz filz2.jpgBavarian ersatz filz3.jpgBavarian ersatz filz4.jpg
I am happy with this one so far!

Regards, Coert.

Back