Bavarian felt pickelhaube M1895

krb450

My latest find, just sitting there at an antique store I frequent! It was a very good price, but the icing on the cake was the 20% for the vendor. One I don't believe I could ever part with! The only issue I notice with it is that a previous owner re-affixed the liner with some glue, but at least they did it delicately.

Sorry that the photos are a bit washed out. Only chances I had to take photos with natural light are later in the evening.

Nice and clean Filzpickelhaube, :-k but the liners in these are usually black, I’m afraid this could be a replacement.

There is a bunch of stuff in the Bavarian archives that shows comments on wearing of these kinds of helmets. Really pretty interesting.

http://www.pickelhaubes.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8800" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.pickelhaubes.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8797" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.pickelhaubes.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8801" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nice looking helmet indeed. Agreed about the liner, but that wouldn't bother me with the rest of it being so nice. All in all a good find! I did the same a few years ago, local antique store, filzhaube, $150, but in a bit rougher condition. Still a nice piece tough.

:D Ron

That looks to me like a pre-war liner sewn into a felt Ersatz helmet. Same as the metal parts came out of old stocks. The liners in these were sewn flat-on in a felt helmet and you can see this. Leather hel,mets it is flipped over the edge. The fact that it came from an antique shop like this, is a very good sign it has not been screwed with.

WWI Collector said:
That looks to me like a pre-war liner sewn into a felt Ersatz helmet. Same as the metal parts came out of old stocks. The liners in these were sewn flat-on in a felt helmet and you can see this. Leather hel,mets it is flipped over the edge. The fact that it came from an antique shop like this, is a very good sign it has not been screwed with.

You're saying that the pre-used liners were sewn this way, correct? The liners on my two Filzhaube were sewn then turned in, so that the stitching didn't show. Both are original liners.

How 'bout others? How are your liners sewn in?

I have 3 filz helmes in the collection.....Baden, Prussian Pioneer and Prussian Infantry, all have black liners in them and brass/silver fittings. The Prussian Inf with brass fittings actually has an oil cloth liner not leather but as stated it is black. The reason for the different stitch methods between filz liners and leather helmets has to do with the visors. On leather helmets, the shell is made, then lacquered, the liner stitched on around the outside rim flesh side out. The liner is then folded down over the rim and into the interior of the shell. Finally, the visors are stitched on over the edge of the liner.
This method does not work with the filz helme because obviously, the visors are not stitched on separately they are formed with the shell when the felt is blocked into shape. The filz helme liner is stitched to the inside rim of the shell flesh side out then folded over to hide the stitches.

b.loree said:
I have 3 filz helmes in the collection.....Baden, Prussian Pioneer and Prussian Infantry, all have black liners in them and brass/silver fittings. The Prussian Inf with brass fittings actually has an oil cloth liner not leather but as stated it is black. The reason for the different stitch methods between filz liners and leather helmets has to do with the visors. On leather helmets, the shell is made, then lacquered, the liner stitched on around the outside rim flesh side out. The liner is then folded down over the rim and into the interior of the shell. Finally, the visors are stitched on over the edge of the liner.
This method does not work with the filz helme because obviously, the visors are not stitched on separately they are formed with the shell when the felt is blocked into shape. The filz helme liner is stitched to the inside rim of the shell flesh side out then folded over to hide the stitches.

Yes.

Back