Bavarian helmet cover for artillery or Chevaulégers

Here is an example of a less common type of helmet cover, which fits bavarian Feldartillerie or Chevaulégers troops :

Its shape fits the specific helmet for bavarian mounted troops, mod 1886, which is sharply different from the infantery helmet mod 96. This specific helmet is in effect in the Feldartillery until the mod 1915 and is the helmet of the Chevaulégers.

So this Uberzug has a more upright shape on its part covering the front visor which

In the same way, the spike cover is taller because the spike of the bavarian mounted troops is taller than the one for foot troops.

In a general way, this Überzug shows the features of the mounted troops cover : 4 hooks and the seams are in the front and back face. It could look like a infantery Uberzug mod 1892 but here, the spike cover is separated to the main body cover by four elasticized cloth strips like infantery Uberzug mod 1897.

This war cover shows a green number (the green fabric should habe been removed to hide better) which is sewn with a light yarn, in the forme of a double yarn.

and the specific stamp of the war Bay Bekleidung Depot III AK

For people who know the books « Feldzug » of Michael Baldwin, the seams of the number and the stamp are similar with the helmet cover of bay 21 JR which is in the beginning of Volume 2. All these units belonged to the bay 5. Division.

The only point I can solve is from which regiment this cover was. Indeed, thebay FAR 6 and the bay Chevaulegers-Regiment Nr. 6[ belonged too to the bay III AK and even in the bay 5.
Division. And they have exactly the same helmet !

Well that is a nice example, nice markings on the inside to

That is a great find

Jonas

Excellent Festwagner! I have never seen one of these before. Thanks for posting these fotos.

Thanks, for me too it was the firts time I saw such a type of cover. At the beginning, my first conclusion was it could be a fake ! But after analyse, I recognize the good model. Books or articles dealing with Uberzug are not numerous and lots of informations are not writen.

Back