Bavarian helmet

pointystuff

It's Bavarian, but what outfit?
http://cgi.ebay.com/WWI-Bavarian-m1886-Officers-Pickelhaube-Helmet-Grouping_W0QQitemZ110477902547QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19b8ff02d3

I'm not that familiar with Bavarian front plates, but isn't that a late front plate on a helmet with lion side bosses? Seems fishy to me, but I'll let the real experts go on this one.

:D Ron

I can tell you I can find no offical referance that has this combination in it, not even in "Die Helme der Koniglich Bayerischen armee 1806-1918"

Not saying it is not ok, just that I am skeptical.

Could be some kind of Police or Fire helmet?

James

ok, just found a very similar version in Brass on page 21 of Erich Radecke Police Book volume 1.

So I guess I am leaning towards Police

Just my opinion

James

This helmet would probably fit the specs for mounted Schutzmannschaft/Gemeindepolizei units best (officers version after 1896). These also had blue uniforms that match the shoulder boards and silvered fittings. A really nice piece and quite rare!

So it Is indeed a good grouping. That's great to hear! I hope somebody will take great care of it.

:D Ron

If this was an Infantry unit, would not the wrappen, for this date, still have the Ivy between the lion's legs??

Was that not a standard feature of all Bavaria's wrappens?? Could this one have been replaced?

Back