Bavarian Herald Tunic, Late 1800's

seebataillon43

This has been in storage for decades, we recently pulled this tunic out and are looking for any input.
We believe this is a Herald's tunic from late 1800's Bavarian royalty, perhaps Ludwig era?
Its an interesting tunic. please get back to us with any feedback or interest to purchase.
Thanks
[email protected]

Attachments

• back.jpg
    back.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 24
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 25
  • frontcu.jpg
    frontcu.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 20
  • lion.jpg
    lion.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 23
Welcome to the forum. Great that you have found and join us :)

It is a fantastic find. I agree with your thoughts and will see if I found something about it in my books about „Hof-Uniformen“

I think your tunic is from a bavarian „King of Arms“ (Wappenkönig), and because of its great condition I think it was made in the late 19th century or beginning 20th century. The „King of Arms“ is the highest Herald of the royal staff and tunics like this will be worn even today for some traditional royal ceremonies in european Kingdoms (see Link).

Link No. 1: British King of Arms
Link No 2: Alte Volkstrachten - Heralds of the 18th and 19th century

I think your tunic is from a bavarian „King of Arms“ (Wappenkönig), and because of its great condition I think it was made in the late 19th century or beginning 20th century. The „King of Arms“ is the highest Herald of the royal staff and tunics like this will be worn even today for some traditional royal ceremonies in european Kingdoms (see Link).

Link No. 1: British King of Arms
Link No 2: Alte Volkstrachten - Heralds of the 18th and 19th century
Hello, thanks so much for the input, we really appreciate it. Its a one of a kind find for sure, this was part of a group of tunics that were bought in the late 1970's.

Back