Bavarian M1845/48 Artillary helmet

J.LeBrasseur

Administrator
Staff member
Just got this one out of Canada, I am super happy with it. Nice M1845/48 Artillary helmet.

Sorry for the poor pictures, it is raining here and had to take them inside!

Hard to see on inside back visor, but there is a name there Graf (some intials I cannot make out) then Camp or Cump.

I love these older helmets

thanks

James

bav%20001.jpg

bav%20002.jpg

bav%20003.jpg

bav%20004.jpg

bav%20006.jpg

bav%20007.jpg

Congratulations for your last acquisition. Maximlilian plates are quite seldom (contrary to Ludwig' ones). This helmet is superb!

Eric

That's a beautiful helmet, James. The condition is absolutely amazing. It makes me think I need to learn more about these early helmets!

One question that pops into my head is about the rosette with the Bavarian colors: When did kingdoms/states start using kokards or rosettes as identifiers?

Congrats!

David

Many of the German states started using cockades well before or during the Napoleonic wars with the advent of the shako, Their is a good example on Hermann-historica.com auction number 34 or 33 where they show a Bavarian model 1811 with its original cockade.

Well done James! That piece must weigh a ton when placed on the head! I love the older style helmets with the heavier gauge leather and high domes but I would not want to wear one for any length of time. Tony has a reference book on these so I would contact him in order to completely ID the helme. Brian

Back