Bavarian M95 and Prussian M15 Arty Restoration

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
I am posting some "before" pictures of 2 helmets that I will be working on. The one is obviously a Bavarian M95 helmet which needs the front visor restitched and a new liner. You can also see that a chin strap has been added below the M91 side posts. I would be interested in hearing from members if they have seen this before. The leather strap looks period as do the buckles but there is no way that this is correct. The strap does not even pull down to go under the chin. So in my mind, the strap has to be removed.
The other is a Prussian M15 helme without markings but I am told by the owner that the fittings indicate M15 Arty. The front visor has been bent/cracked at some time and of course we need a new liner. Hopefully some original visor trim will help. Here are some pics, Brian.
Bavarian M95
Collectionroompics118.jpg
Collectionroompics119.jpg

Collectionroompics120.jpg

joerookery said:
I would be interested in hearing from members if they have seen this before.

No

Brian,
This looks like a collector repair that was probably done to a war bond helmet, as many came with out chin straps or Kockarden, the idea of a German soldier (or repair depot) adding a usless chin strap with out the national or state insignia is just too much to believe. Another thought is that a costume house did this.
Gus

Thanks Gus and Joe. Gus your suggestions seem very logical. The darn thing is riveted on so it is going to be quite a task to remove it. I will probably go for the old dremmel tool and a cutting wheel. Wish me luck boys I'm goin in!!! Brian

Ah the dremmel tool, I have used that on a 150 hp tractor repair, they can do just about anything, and do less damage than the cutting torch.
Gus

Bavarian M95 helme. Liner has been removed and all stitch holes cleaned out. I used my dremmel tool to remove the riveted chin strap Note the inside of the M91 post. Of interest here, is that in my experience the Bavarians used only one prong beside the central post to secure it to the shell. The M91s on Prussian helmets always have 2 prongs plus the central post. Any members with M95 Bavarian helmets similar to this please check your M91s for further evidence to support this characteristic.
The holes in the sides of the shell caused by the chin strap rivets will be filled using leather plugs then new finish will be applied.
One last thing, we often find that the Regimental markings on Bavarian OR's helmets are stamped into the leather of the rear visor not just inked as is normal with Prussian or other state markings. The rear visor markings on this helme have been gouged out. Perhaps this is further evidence that the Imperial forces tried to remove Regt markings from their equipment. Brian

Collectionroompics130.jpg

M95 repro Liner cut out and dyed:
IMG_3677.jpg

Brian: I have an issue Bavarian M91 with dual prongs (to keep the side lug from rotating) and an issue Prussian 1st Grenadier M91 dated 1897 and issued to the Fusilier Bn in 1901 with single prongs.

Reservist1

Wow, Thanks R1 I knew that there were 2 prong versions on some Bavarian M95s but I was not aware of the existance of Prussian one prong M91s. My Bavarian M15 OR's helmet which is totally original has the standard 2 prong M91s. I wonder why they went for a one prong version at all other than to save a tiny piece of metal. Perhaps just a different manufactures' design?? Brian

Ok help me Mr. Wizard. I don't understand what you are saying about the M91 prongs. The central post I thought had 4 bend down prongs. Are you talking about the spin stopping holes? Can either of you show a picture to this badly sunburned golfer?

Hey Joe, If youlook at the photo of the inside of the Korpus, you will be able to see where the four flat prongs are holding the post in place, there is also a single narrower/longer prong at the 1:00 position.
Gus

Well done R1.....I am the school teacher and supposed to be able to clarify these things but you cut to the chase!! A picture is definately worth 1000 words. Does any member out there have an M15 example of the one prong M91 post?? Brian

Hi Brian. I have a 'no-prong' M15 if it's any help? One side has the two prongs and the other has none, and there are no holes in the disc for the prongs. I dont think it's been messed about with either, it seems absolutely original. It has the 'f' incised into the rear visor and this is the only fault I can find on the helmet. The post moves very slightly but it does not spin.

Back