Bavarian M95 Project

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
Every year at the SOS, I manage to pick up a project helmet of my own to take home and restore. For the last 2 Shows, I have picked up Prussian infantry officer helmets which needed some TLC. This year thanks to James and Paul, who know what I am after, I bought this OR's Bavarian M95 helmet. This is the condition in which I found the helmet:
IMG_0314-L.jpg

Both visors loose, split front trim.
IMG_0315-L.jpg

Split in leather of rear visor.
IMG_0316-L.jpg

The spike has a bit of a tilt to it as well but this can be fixed.
IMG_0317-L.jpg

The piece has a decent complete liner which is a bonus. I had a hard time getting the wappen off as small pieces of nylon rope had been cut and put through the loops. They then melted the ends to keep the rope in place.
IMG_0325-L.jpg

The wappen is in good shape.
IMG_0323-L.jpg

IMG_0320-L.jpg

With a bit of effort these problems can be fixed. The most challenging issue will be to find front visor trim to fit. I have some pieces at home but as with rear spines, you could have 12 originals and still not get a proper fit. It is always a crapshoot, to buy a helmet with broken trim or missing spine. :?

Looks not easy and a lot of work.
I’m looking forward to see another rescued Helmet and how it works to do so :bravo:

Please keep us posted on your progress with this one. Love your write ups and this helmet looks like one I would have bought.

Back