Bavarian Military Merit Medal

Steve Nick

This is another item I've had for years and never paid a lot of attention to. I don't collect Imperial medals and at the time I acquired it there were few avenues available to research it if I had the time which I didn't when I was working. Now that I'm retired I've started going through my collection and delving into things I had put to one side, so to speak.

I believe this is a Military Merit Cross 2nd class. I think the 1st Class is done in a Gold/Gilt finish? I think the swords indicate that it is a war time award.

I only discovered that there was a makers Hallmark recently, I'm embarrassed to say. On the reverse side of the swords, one of them has a "D" at the tip of the sword which indicates that it was made by Deschler & Sohn of Munich.

It's not only an attractive piece, I think it's very well made.

If anyone can offer any other information or observations on this I'd welcome the input.

Attachments

• DSC_1186 Obverse Re-Sized.jpg
    DSC_1186 Obverse Re-Sized.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC_1187 Reverse Re-Sized.jpg
    DSC_1187 Reverse Re-Sized.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_1185 Hallmark Re-Sized.jpg
    DSC_1185 Hallmark Re-Sized.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 14
Bavarian Merit Crosses are indeed attractive and this grade is for an NCO

Bavarian Merit Crosses are indeed attractive and this grade is for an NCO
Charles:

Thanks for that information. How does one distinguish between enlisted ranks, NCO's and Officers? Is it bronze, silver and gilt?

A nice looking cross with original ribbon. Congratulations Steve.
Thanks Alan . I wish had paid more attention to these awards much earlier. I really like the design. Unfortunately, they, like everything else have become pretty expensive for someone who's retired and has too many other money sucking hobbies.

Back