Bavarian Officer Stein

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
I have had this piece for over 30 years. The pewter top is in the form of an officer pickelhaube with pearlring and the visor is engraved M. Kebel. The wappen is the older style with oak leaves. The glass is engraved L1/2 , obviously a half litre. There are holes as can be seen at the sides of the helmet...chin scales?? Although, would these not flop around when one is quaffing a beer??. Anyway further comments are welcome and if anyone has a more complete example in your collection, please post some photos.
IMG_1163.JPG
IMG_1165.JPG
Chin scale holes?
IMG_1166.JPG
The thumb lift is bent but in the form of a plumed knight's helmet.
IMG_1169.JPG
IMG_1170.JPG
Old style wappen and engraved M. Kebel, perhaps we can track him down?? :) I never got into Imperial steins, we see quite a few at the SOS and they are very colourful and tempting. I also know that there are modern day copies for sale.

Well Brian I think I have your twin stein. I think you are missing the side post plug on both sides, mine is missing on one side, I suspect the scales in between got caught on things or where fragile, mine is broken off on the one side that still has the post.

James

Very cool James, obviously made by the same company. Some variations I see: different thumb lift, different design in the glass. Now I know what went in those side holes. Does yours have the half litre inscription in the glass? Last, what does your visor inscription say? I see Ad. 25.......

The first stein with the bent thumb lever looks to be bent on purpose .
The second shield thumb lever it would take 2 hands to enjoy your beer.
Having the chinscales on would probably mess with your stash .
That would not be pleasant while enjoying your beer.
If it would happen to me the scales would be taken off in a mili-second or the stein launched across the room.
Of course once you got your stash out of the bear trap.

Very interesting stein Brian.

I did get into collecting steins at one point. Picked up a dozen or more and stopped when the display case was full.

I've never seen that style before and the fact that James has it's twin is very unusual.

Complete with M91 posts. I would think that when new they must have had miniature kokarden as well.

Thanks for sharing guys!

Well I cannot make out most of the inscription on mine, sorry.

The remnant of the chinscale under the rosette on mine moves, so the scales where loose and explains why they are gone to time.

James

Last, what does your visor inscription say? I see Ad. 25.......
I read „A. D. 25 jähr. Dienstjubiläum“ (but „jubiläum“ written with „e“ „jubeläum“).
If you like, with the keywords „Reservistenkrug glas“ you‘ll find saxony jugs with complete Chin-Scale. I attached the Link below. It works better with the german keywords, in english I didn‘t find a complete jug :oops:
Not cheap these jugs :bravo:
https://picclick.de/?q=reservistenkrug+glas

thank you Sandy, I had never seen a complete one before. So obviously, mine is missing the chin scales. I am wondering if the inscription on James's krug is celebrating 25 years of army service?

I am wondering if the inscription on James's krug is celebrating 25 years of army service?
I would think so. He will have served in the bavarian army. Such gifts were always related to the profession.

Back