Bavarian Pickelhaube

Chris Liontas

Hello all! Thank you for having such a wonderful forum!

This is one of my first Pickelhaube's; I originally bought it thinking it was cavalry, but now I am sure it is otherwise. I had not read into the actual markings inside the helmet when I first bought it, I was going more by the actual shape of the visor. I know mounted units used this visor, but now I realize that trains and artillery used it in the Bavarian army also.

I am confused about the markings inside the helmet though. I wanted to post some photos and see what you all think. The main liability is that the helmets rear visor is loose. The helmet came right out of an attic in Munich (I know I know--fish story--but at least I didnt say "found in a barn in Normandy" :lol: ) Rest assured I dont sit the helmet on its visors!

Anyway first photo

[/img]

What confuses me about this helmet is the markings. There are two indentation markings and one stamp (besides the size indention markings). The stamp is FB3, while the indentations are 3fb and 11d.A.R. --- Also inside the helmet is the remnants of a name-tag. The only things I can read are "3 f. Bat".

I know A.R. is Artillery, however what would the (d.) stand for? The square visor would mean Artillery was a possibility, but the Fb stumps me. Could this be a Infantry Helmet then regiven to a Artillery Rgt when the infantry adopted the rounded visor?

[/img]

Other side showing the 3fB and the 11d.A.R.

my.php
[/url][/img]

Side of the helmet-- Tony if you read this you will notice I goofed and this one does heave the M91's

my.php
[/url][/img]

Sorry for the terrible photography. I would use Tony's "how to" guide, but it is snowing out right now :D

Hi Chris. I am stumped on the markings. Typically a small letter is a secondary word, (not a noun) so I am not sure at all what the 3.f.B means.

I like the helmet, very attractive. You can date this from 1894 to 1914 with the M91 side posts and honkin-big Wappen. It would not surprise me a bit if this helmet was issued to an Infantry unit, then rolled over to Artillery when the Infantry adopted the Model 1896 with the small Wappen. makes perfect sense to redistribute the older helmets to units that still wore the squared front visor and cruciform spike base and fluted spike. You may recall I have a Hessen M1867 (HERE) that was first issued to a Dragoner regt, then an Infantry regt, then another Infantry regt.

teteou043.jpg

Hi Chris,
Nice helmet. Here is the same one as yours, and the matching 1915 model for a comparison. Both are marked to the 8th artillery regiment.
Bruno

I think you might be reading the marking wrong. In my opinion it says something like 1FdAR 3fB.

The FdAR stands for Field artillery, as opposed to FsAR which stands for foot artillery.
far%208.jpg

bar3.jpg

Many people believe that the abbreviation FAR is the only one used for Field artillery, but is used in addition to other markings. In general, the abbreviation FdAR seems to be more frequently found on older helmets and those from Bavaria.

The abbreviation 3fB seems to indicate the number of the firing battery and I am not positive exactly which word was meant by letter f.
far5.jpg

Awesome! Thank you very much. I have been wondering if I was reading it wrong, your explanation makes perfect sense! Thanks a ton :)

Back