Bavarian Reservist Cockade for Feldmutze -what does it say?!

simon505

Hi All,

I am trying to find out what the lettering on the Bavarian Reservist Cockade for the EM's Feldmutze is supposed to be. On the cross there looks to be two dates on either side of the chess board design of Bavaria with two gothic letters, maybe a cipher on the lower leg of the cross?

Does any one know what the markings are? On my example it's hard to see. Does anyone have a decent picture?

Also, any ideas on how common this is? I only ask as I don't recall having seen many about.

Thanks in advance and New Year's greetings to all members near and far.

Simon

Simon,

The Kokarde says "In Treue Fest", the Bavarian state motto. Same thing as on the enlisted belt buckle. Here are close-ups of some of my examples and a photo of the enlisted version being worn.

Chip

Thanks Chip - great detailed photos.

I can't believe that it didn't occur to me that it would be the state motto.
Durrrrr.

Are these common to find?

Cheers,

Si

Simon,

I would not say they are common. Difficult to find, would be more like it. But not rare by any means.

Chip

Thanks Chip.

I acquired this cockade years ago with some other bits which supposedly came from a house clearance near Penge, London. From the same house clearance I got an 1871 Bayonet in its badly rotted scabbard. I always assumed that as the 1871 was issued to Reservists and Landwehr troops that the cockade and bayonet may have been linked - Cue romantic story of British soldier liberating these pieces in the field and bringing them home!

There is a unit mark on the Bayonet's crossguard which is '36. R.4.109' which has then been crossed out and replaced with what looks like 'L.0 P. 1. 46.'

Don't know where I might be able to get this interpreted? Any ideas?

Thanks again,

Simon

Simon,

The crossed out marking is for the Füsilier Rgt. (Magdeburgisches) Nr.36. The second marking is not something I can find in the reference material. Are you sure about the letters? Could you post a photo?

Regards,
Chip

Gladly but I can't get my head round how to add a picture! What am i supposed to do to add an attachment from my computer?

S

Simon,

I believe that the second set of markings are for the "Ostpreußisches Landsturm Pionier Bataillon Nr.1." The script "L" indicates Landsturm, while a block "L" indicates Landwehr.

Chip

Hi Chip,

Thanks so much - it's great to have the info about the Bayonet's unit service. Seems this one had a fairly interesting life. Most of my pieces have sat for years without me investing the time to investigate more about them.

Whilst we're on the subject - I also have a M1864 sidearm with a unit mark: '2 A.F 13.207'. Always though it to be Foot Artillery issued but not sure.

Is there a book on the subject that one can get?

Cheers,

Simon

Simon,

Yes, there is a book worth recommending on the subject of weapons markings. Jeff Noll has taken some well known period orders regarding weapon markings and fleshed out the information into a nice book. The title is "Imperial German Regimental Marking" 1998. You may still be able to get copies from the author, or at least he might be able to tell you who might have a supply. I will PM you his E-Mail address.

Regards,
Chip

Thanks Guys. Wish I had more time to research in more detail some of the things I've got and share some of my bits and pieces on the forum.

Will definitely try to do so in 2011.

Thanks again and best wishes,

Simon

Back