[/img]
pick11.jpg
[/img]
pick12.jpg
[/img]
pick13.jpg
[/img]

I like it :thumb up:

Those vulcanfibre helmets always display well because they retain their shape; this does, however, appear to have had some light restoration. The front retaining pin looks to have been replaced at some time. I'm aware that on Bavarian helmets the front retaining pin is rareley a star(because it was hidden by the Crown of the wappen) but the style of this looks a little odd?

istanbulian said:
I like it :thumb up:

Those vulcanfibre helmets always display well because they retain their shape; this does, however, appear to have had some light restoration. The front retaining pin looks to have been replaced at some time. I'm aware that on Bavarian helmets the front retaining pin is rareley a star(because it was hidden by the Crown of the wappen) but the style of this looks a little odd?

I saw that too, it's one of those paper 'wingie thingies'.... no biggie, easy to replace, if a replacement turns up. I think the 'front stud' on these look odd anyway when the wappen doesn't cover the front crossbase arm; you know, being at the tip of the crossbase, rather than top, but then, that's part of the visual interest I guess.

Note added later: I should have written, "It LOOKS like one of those paper 'wingie thingies' (for putting stacks of paper together, what ever they're called!) :)

:D Ron

Thanks for opinions! I will soon receive this helmet and I will look that with it. Excuse my bad English...

Guys, what's wrong with the wappen's left lion's tongue and shouldn't all 3 crowns be voided on an officer model?

Besides, doesn't that wappen look way too shiny compared with the rest of the brass fittings?

It's a good looking helmet, but nevertheless has some little flaws as already stated by the others...

and shouldn't all 3 crowns be voided on an officer model?
No, only the center one...

Besides, doesn't that wappen look way too shiny compared with the rest of the brass fittings?
The wappen is fire guilded and then polished on the edges and on certain areas... I see nothing wrong here...

Adler

RON said:
Guys, what's wrong with the wappen's left lion's tongue and shouldn't all 3 crowns be voided on an officer model?

No, onlly big central crown http://www.kaisersbunker.com/dunkelblau/helmets/dbh05.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I agree about the guilding but I thought it looked way too shiny. In other words that guilding is very close to mint.
I also thought that left lion had a funny tongue / less 'extended' than the usual?

As for the void on the central crown alone, was that an Infantry characteristic as my Chevauleger M1897 has all 3 crowns voided and I've seen this on a similar but older Chevauleger model as well:
Pickelhaube-BavarianLightCavalryOfficer-M1897a.jpg

I wanna add mine too! :)

100_3717.jpg

I would imagine that it's pretty easy for a tongue to get broken off, pretty fragile. I've just purchased and early Bavarian plate from Age of Kings (for an Artillery helmet that's had the wrong plate on it for decades) and it's much heavier than the later ones. A pretty intricate and fragile stamping in places, I'd imagine.

If you ever watch 'A Triumph of the Will', there are a LOT of Bavarian helmets in the parade shots... oh yeah, there are veterans under the helmets as well.

:D Ron

Ron,

Good point re the voided crowns and it caused me to examine my examples.

Both my General's helmets have all three crowns voided as do the Schwere Reiter and Chevauleger examples.
Both of my infantry examples (Lieb Regt 1 and line infantry regiment) only have the central crown voided.

Ian

Since Ron's (gorgeous) haube is Infantry, it looks like this issue was left to the various makers out there...

...go on then, I will play as well.

This is an example with just the central crown pierced just as a contrast

Bayerische_Rez_Inf_Wappenb.jpg

... and now a version with the later simplified wappen with just the central crown pierced.

Bayerische_Rez_Inf_Lieb_Reg.jpg

Of course I went to the bunker again to look at all those Bavarians... Guess what, they all have only the middle crown voided, Infanterie, Schwere Reiter, Ulanen,... Only one with the 3 voided crowns, the one of Prince Alfons of Bavaria. He was a General and also inhaber of the Cheveauleger Regt. Nr. 7...
I don't know the reason for this, maybe only high rank officers had the 3 crowns voided, maybe only generals?
Anyway, here you have a few (old) pictures of the prince's helmet...

Adler

Nice helmet Karel.
Is it Cavallry/with round chinscales (can't make it on the photos) or was it prior to his joining/owning the Cheveauleger Regt.7 as you say?
Another thing: I thought Bavarian generals already had enamel crests on their wappens back then (the late 19th Century)?
(If not and if your theory about the 3 voided crown being a General's attribute is true, then my Chevauleger's helmet--and Ron's--would be General models... But I doubt I'm that lucky!)

I think the enamel plates were only introduced in 1913...

Bayerisches_Gen_Brothers_in_Arms.jpg

When I looked at Stubbs for confirmation of the above I noticed that he features Bavarian Generals' helmets with only the central crown voided #-o

Vulcanfiber helmet was produced after 1916, last wartime. Can for reduction in price have put a NCO or EM wappen?
In books J.A, Bowman and T. Cowan too there is a photos of officer helmets with only central crown pierced...

Back