bayern m15 question

feel76

Hi Guys could you have a look at this m15. Is it ok apart from the rusty bavarian kokarde? How much does a loose bavarian kokarde cost? The seller aks 620 euros which sound fair to me isn't it?

http://community.webshots.com/album/572623768RyozML

Kind regards

felix

Hello Felix,
On first look, it seems to me that the visor trim may have been repainted, but looking again, I am not sure, have you held this helmet in your hands? The visor trim may be loose, and the Bavarian Kocard is a bit ugly, but other than that, It looks pretty nice to me, a new Kockard can be found, but I suspect that a Bavarian one may take a bit longer, and will probably cost another 50 Euro. 620 Euro seems like a high price from our part of the world, but we are a bit behind the times, and these are only going to go up in price, and I believe that if you had to buy this helmet on ebay, you would not be able to get it for that price. If you are comfortable with the price, I do not think you will find one for much less,
bES TWIHSES
gUS

I would be careful, on the picture from the rear (0362) it looks like the spike is brass and overpainted gray - a piece chipped off prevealing the base metal. Possibly this part has been replaced. Do you have larger close-up pictures, also from the inside disc?

no unfortunately these are the only pics i have. I have mailed the seller with the question about the spike.

The interior looks good. I thought it was pretty nice at first glance but that spike is a brass one and the and trim does look a bit fresh. €620 is too high if it's got issues like that - knock him down €100 or so. Is the chinstrap original?

This is why a viable discussion forum is so important, I missed the brass spike, the grey metal has all been repainted in my opinion, I thought the front trim looked redone, but the Wappen and the spike as well as the spine all match so closely that I would think that all the metal is a repaint, that makes a very big difference in the value. The more eyes taht can look at something the better.
Gus

Yes thank you guys it is great to get that much help over here. I guess i will call the deal of. I have been looking for quite some time for a bavarian. And than as a collector you hope of course that you get a good deal. I will have to continue my search for an m15.

:)

Hi Felix,

I think this would be a good helmet with the correct spike. The re-paint is another matter but if it's just the trim and was done very well and was reflected in the eventual price one could live with that - at least I could until a better one comes along. The actual shell and interior is very nice, and the stamp looks good too. Won't he come down in price?

Maybe you can point out to the seller that for buying online you really need high-resolution pictures and close-ups of vital parts. The fact that he did not mention this obvious problem should make you cautious.

Maybe it is only the spike that was missing and that was replaced by an overpainted brass part. But you cant be shure, if one spot has been reworked than other changes may have been made too.

Gustaf is right in that this is about the price range for good quality. If you are willing to pay this sum then you can get a nice and period-correct helmet. Personally I would not recommend to bother for a reworked or otherwise questionable item just because it comes by at a medium price.

well i got an rather unpleasant mail back from the seller. He told me if my forumfriends know best they should sell me a good helmet for that price. :eek: well i guess that was the last helmet i have bought from this seller.

Good for you Felix! =D> :salute: :hello1: If he wrote unkind things there is no telling what else was wrong. You saved your self a headache.

Yup, stay away. Any clue as to who this is? Is he French by any chance? I had a similar experience with a French dealer a while back. Same kind of aggressive know-all-ness.

Hey Felix,
Tell your know it all dealer that your forum friends will step up to the plate, I have a very nice M15 that I will sell for that price to you, unfortunatly, it is Prussian, but it is all original, not a made from parts frankenhelmet.
Any time a dealer is unhappy when he finds out you have friends who will help you deceide on a helmet, then that is a dealer to stay away from, because he is selling things that he is not telling the whole story on.
Best wihses
Gus

Hi Gustaf that is very kind of you. Unfortunately i already have an m15 prussian. I am looking for bavarian or württemberg.

I have to say i am very happy to get that much help from you forummembers. I think for new pickelhaube collectors(like me) who know to little and can't tell the difference the hobby would become a nightmare very soon, if there weren't people like you who can help.

many thanks

Felix

Back