Bayern Raupenhelm

Hello Haubefriends,

I visited the Ciney Militaria in Belgium two weeks ago, and found most Haubes highly overpriced (or maybe I just have to adjust my view on marketprices..).

However, I found this Raupenhelm for a fair price. The leather is in fine condition, as is the Kokarde, the Ludwig Emblem, and the Raupe. It came with the green (Jäger) carotte plume. The following questions arise, and I would appreciate it if you can help me out:

1) According to the interior and the Kokarde with the "L", it's an officershelmet. The Raupe isn't made of bear, but it seems higher and bigger then a regular non-officersraupe. I compared this Raupe in Ciney with non-officersraupen I found, and they all were of different material. Also, this Raupe seems to belong to this helmet, looking at fixings etc. Has any one seen an officershelmet with a similar Raupe? Could it be this Raupe belongs to the helmet?

2) The helmet is similar to Fieldartillery or Chevauleger, but as said provided with a Jäger plume. I cannot find out in any literature if Jägerunits were provided with these type of helmet (i.e. with the 4 extra metal stripes on both sides). Or is the green plume just incorrect, and I have to look for a red busch as shown in James' his pictures?

Many thanks for your professional comments!!

Marcel

kartingenraupenhelm042.jpg

kartingenraupenhelm044.jpg

kartingenraupenhelm046.jpg

kartingenraupenhelm047.jpg

kartingenraupenhelm048.jpg

kartingenraupenhelm043.jpg

vonkluck14 said:
// The helmet is similar to Fieldartillery or Chevauleger, but as said provided with a Jäger plume. I cannot find out in any literature if Jägerunits were provided with these type of helmet (i.e. with the 4 extra metal stripes on both sides). Or is the green plume just incorrect, and I have to look for a red busch as shown in James' his pictures?

Marcel, the green plume is incorrect. This is according to Seibold, W. & Schulz, M. (1999) Die Helme der Königlich Bayerischen Armee 1806 - 1918. Bayerischer Militar Verlag - Gerd M. Schulz, Gröbenzell.

You need first to buy this book, second you need to find a white hairbush for Chevaulegers, a red hairbush for Feldartillerie, a black hairbush for Train, or a red plume for Fußartillerie. Or, remove it as after after 1873 for Fußartillerie, Pioniere, Eisenbahn or Feldtelegraphen wore nothing fuzzy. All the above units wore the extra brass band at the rear of the skull.

vonkluck14 said:
And how about the Raupe on this helmet? It seems genuine and correct to me, but as said it isn't made of bear..

Can't help you with that. I don't collect officer items. Perhaps James can assist.

Can you remove the Raupe for a look at the underside? It seems rather fluffy (much like some sort of fur) although these pieces were often replaced in later years for presentation.

I hope your Raupe doesn't turn out to have been made from a critter with a polyester dermis. I bought one of those recently. :oops:

Sorry for the delay, I have been gone for work.

Tony answed most of the questions. As far as the Raupe goes, my officer one is the same, very fluffy and longer hair then the OR versions.

James

Is it possible to show me a clear picture of the red plume James, so I know what to look for? I've contacted the german editor of the book you recommended Tony, it's in reprint at the moment.

Back