Belgian Adrian M15.

coert65

Yesterday I got a Belgian Adrian in the mail, I searched a very long time at last I found one that wasn't messed with..

Maker is Compagnie Coloniale.
It arrived at Armistice day, so couldn't arrive at a better day, I'm a happy guy now!!
:D

Thanks for the nice comments gentlemen!
I've seen many for sale, but always something wrong with them, this was the first I saw that was in original condition,
so I scooped it up like there was no tomorrow. :)

It's strange that it isn't named. Maybe your medal is one that was placed inside the bookcover of a "vuurkruiser" book.
But sometimes you come across alot of strange things. I have a medal like that with 2 names and nobody can tell me why it has 2 names on it.

leeuwen_te_ieper_004.jpg

Greetings

Pickelhaube

It is my understanding that these brass plates were applied to the helmets blank by the manufacturer. The purchaser then had the name(s) added. That helmets with blank plates are those that were never sold to a vet. It may be that the two names are for two comrades lost.

Hi, I thought so too, that it was for a vuurkruiser book.
But I have one of those here, the plaque on that is really thin, and hollow on the back... :-k
I saw one of those double names marked one on the internet somewhere, but the guy owning that one was also wondering why it had two names..
Somethings are really hazy concerning WW1.

Greetings, Coert :thumb up:

Also, concerning this named question, are the french veteran plates added on Adrian helmets, after the war.
The copper ones like on the one I traded with Jaap.
This is also not marked with a name, I also have an artillery one with a plate which isn't named.
But you also encounter named ones..
Isn't it possible you could buy these plate's, and had to pay an engraver to to the work on them?
Most people weren't very rich those day's, maybe they could afford a plate, or in this case a Vuurkruiser medal but not the engraving?

Just my 2 cents on these subjects...

If the medal is thin and hollow, it's 100% sure it's the plaque that should be on the book. I placed the medal also on a dutch forum. I could be wrong, but i think the soldiers would receive an engraved medal if they bought the book. I got a book somewhere which has the bill inside of it.

Concerning the veteran plates on the adrian helmets, they were delivered without names. If the veterans wanted to have the plates engraved, they would go to an engraver.

Greetings

Pickelhaube

Hi,
The plaque isn't thin and hollow, this is a picture of the reverse side:

The plaque on the "Vuurkruiser"book is hollow and thin..
Did you place it on Forumeerstewereldoorlog.nl ? I'm a member there as well, will check out what they have to say about it , 'cause I wonder also about this for quite a while now.
Greetings, Coert.

Nice plaque! It's the first unissued one i've seen so far. I've owned hundreds of these, if i find them at decent prices i always buy them so i can research the names when i'm home and i keep the plaques from the soldiers that came from my city or who fought here in august 1914.

I really hope that i can find the plaques of my great grandfather and his 2 borthers, all 3 survived the war.

I did place my plaque on forumeerstewereldoorlog.nl, but my guess is that nobody has seen a double named one before. I never saw one before i bought a lot of 54 plaques at Wavre which included this one.

Greetings

Pickelhaube

Thanks! I saw your topic on forumeerstewereldoorlog, not much info about so I guess it's pretty rare!

Also a rewarding and satifying task researching the faces behind the names, :thumb up:

And building a collection of plaques of the men who fought in, or around your city is great.

I hope you will find the plaques of your family members, but it will be very, very difficult I think..

Have a nice weekend!

Greetings, Coert.

It's indeed satisfying researching the plaques, some can be researched easily but others can take a while.

Finding the plaques of my family members will be hard, but i know people who only collect these plaques and they know which plaques i'm looking for.

Greetings

Pickelhaube

Back