Belgian M1863 Lancers Tschapka prints

My Belgian 2th Lancer Tschapka
Its just missing some pieces

9ld1jc.jpg

xpq7f5.jpg

350qrtl.jpg

2h2f95v.jpg

Thanks for everyone's replies,
For sake of clarification, my understanding based on Khukri's post is that this tschapka would have been worn/ssued 1914 to?

As the German Ulanen had the same kind of headgear at the outbreak of WWI-August 1914, it was often difficult to recognise Belgian Lansiers/Lanciers (English: lancers) from German Ulanen... The Tschapka, the lance with pennant....Several cases of friendly fire occured. So: At the end of August 1914 the Belgian Lancers shelved the Tschapka. From then on they had to wear the side cap. In 1915 the khaki (British type) uniform replaced the old uniforms and in autumn 1915 the-French pattern-Adrian steel helmet was adopted.

Schiavona 13:

A beauty!!! Congratulations!
Your liner is fine. Not on my 2L Tschapka. It had been on a polystyrene head for ages....grrrrr. Acid???

Sure it has a good home! These are rare! August 4th 1914: Trooper Antoine Fonck of the 2nd Lancers Regiment was the first Belgian soldier to fall when the Germans crossed the German-Belgian border. After WWII: My father was a Tanker in this proud Regiment. "Meurt premier comme devant"-"Die first as before" was the devise on the "silver" insigna on white shield on his black beret. Two crossed lances with pennants.

Back