Belgian spike helmets

stuka f

I all ready posted some examples on the forum in other threats, but here is one i didn't know the exictence of untill recently!
I didn't see any in live, but it is on my list from now.
Here is a rare picture of a police men of the city of Ghent wearing a helmet very similar to the Portuguese spike helmets.

I think its a corkhelmet not a leather one

Here some photo's of a helmet my dad picked up for me in Antwerp about 15 years ago
Its a little damaged but a rare piece :?:
I never know what it was untill now ..... police ?

8wyrtt.jpg

fo41mo.jpg

206lxms.jpg

Yes they are cork helmets!
What you are showing indeed is that Belgian police spike helmet!
Your example is missing his spike!
Thanks for showing!
Cheers
|<ris

Missing spike's is very commoun when finding neglected helmets like thise...
I once copied a spike for some Belgian Garde Civique helmets that were found in Antwerp, in very poor shape and all missing the spike .
I still have the mould i think.I just dont know if that is a similare spike for yours...

Thanks a lot Markgraf!
Nice picture but not quiet the same helmet.
The helmets these chap's are wearing are comb helmets of a later periode.
Here are other examples

The comb seems similar to British police helmets. Those were likely influenced from the early sun helmets of India.

And speaking of Belgian comb helmets, here is a helmet I still need to identify !
If anyone comes across a similar helmet, please let me know.
|<

Nice picture!
The man is a officer, those kind of cap's where much in use for parades until the late '70 ties.
Here is one (middle of display on top of the head!);

During the time of communism the emigrant ex-members of the Royal Hungarian Gendarmerie made a "Museum of the Hungarian Armed Forces" in Toronto, Canada. Beside the Hungarian items, they collected some gendarmerie stuff form another countries - like that Belgian shako. After 1989 the collection came home and became part of the Military History Museum.

Back