Belguim M1841/42 Kurassier helmet

J.LeBrasseur

Administrator
Staff member
This one has been on my hit list for awhile, a good friend in France just hooked me up with it!!

This helmet is very heavy and very ornate with real long horse hair plume.

My new favorite helmet.

James

Belguim001.jpg

Belguim002.jpg

Belguim004.jpg

Belguim003.jpg

Belguim005.jpg

Belguim006.jpg

Belguim007.jpg

Belguim008.jpg

Belguim009.jpg

Wow James, what a really cool helmet. :salute: Congrat's on aquiring it for your collection. It looks to be in very nice shape.

See you in a couple of weeks at the fairgrounds!

Alan Schaefer

Pretty cool that you have the intellect to branch out beyond a narrow focus unlike most of us (me >> :cyclopsani: ). And that is a pretty cool helmet too. What are your chances of find a Kuraß? Did they wear one?

Thanks for the comments guy's!

Yes, they did wear a Kurass, there actually was one at the SOS, but it was trashed so I did not get it. The search goes on.

Branching out is kind of fun, couple years ago started delving into French helmets and this just kind of caught my eye as the next one.

James

Beautiful helme James. Incredible details on this piece just amazing workmanship...congrats! Brian

That's a great helmet James. Congrats on finding another fantastic piece. I can also see that the Belgians liked the Lion a lot! This suggests to me that the later WWI helmet plate was a slimmed down and modified version of this badge no doubt.

I just noticed that you have it on your German stand. You need the one with the Black Yellow and Red flag instead!

I like these too James, congratulations on a nice addition to your collection. Mine came like a Christmas Present, some assembly required, it was literally in pieces, but all were there thankfully.

There is a copy of the 1925 Bannerman's catalog in our small reading room, this pattern helmet was offered for sale in that issue for the fantastic price of $12.50. Wow, wouldn't we all like to have purchased a dozen or so. :D

Larmo

Belgian had two Kurassier Regiment until 1863.
Then they were disbanded and became Light Cavalry (Lancers)
The lancers wore the tschapka untill the start of the Great War.
This lancers were sometimes mistaken for German Uhlans...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Khukri
Flanders
Belgium

Hello Jim,
Sorry for this very late reply, I just saw this item today.
Helmet is a model 1843 trooper helmet, in extremely good condition and complete: the black wool ball on the houpette is hardly ever there, as is the lining which is in calf leather and very fragile. There is a very good article on these helmets (the only one existing as far as I know) in a Belgian periodical "MILITARIA BELGICA" (periodical from the national army museum, the Musée Royal de l'Armée et de l'Histoire Militaire), dating back to 1979 but very complete. Please send me contact (mail or postal adress?) and I will be very pleased to send you a copy, if not scanned then a photocopy.
First cuirasses worn from 1831 till 1843 were copied on the Imperial French cuirasses, all made by "DECHANGE A LIEGE" and with a small marking in front: the capitals GP in a rectangle, meaning in French "Gouvernement Provisoire", the first Belgian Governement being formed in the same year. Collectors should take care, these cuirasses are often sold as genuine "Imperial French".
The helmet you possess should be accompanied by a French cuirass Model 1825 with the normal French markings (Manufacture...Taille....Largeur) but with with a marking on the bottom of the "plastron": GB in a small rectangle, meaning this time "Gouvernement Belge". Very, very rare to find and hardly ever matching numbers: those cuirasses that were not sold as scratch after use, were used as decoration in military establishments such as officer's clubs etc. I have never seen a helmet marked on the back with a "3" as there were only 2 regiments: 1 in Liège (number 1) and 1 in Bruges (number 2), the latter having only existed for a couple of years. All Belgian weapons, be it swords, rifles, cuirasses, helmets, are very hard to find on the market, especially officer's items. Very nice, complete helmet, one of the better specimens that survived.
Best regards,
Johan

As far as I know: the numbers are the helmet sizes !
The units had a "V" and a "V*" for resp 1st and 2nd Regiments.
Rgds,
Khukri
Francis

You are absolutely right Francis, I am confusing with the markings 1 or 2 on the small white metal cuirass in front of the "cimier" of the helmets Mod. 1831. As far as I know, there were only 2 makers: DAILY and FONSON, DECHANGE being also producer of the first pattern of helmet?
Best regards,
Johan

Guy's thanks for the wonderful information, I continue to learn, which isi great!

Johan- I just saw your offer for the offer for the a copy fo the periodical, I will send you a PM right now with my information.

thanks

James

I have one of these helmets identical and armor that I would like to get rid of, anyone interested? I cannot seem to attach photos. If someone sends me their email I can send it to them.
[/img]

Back