Belguim M1841/42 Kurassier helmet

Beautiful helmet! I saw quite a few at the Belgian Army Museum in Brussels, don't know if they're the 'exact' same model, but beautiful none the less.
The closest I have is a French Chaussier (Spelling???) helmet that I found cut in half at a military show... a little patience, a little silver solder, some horse hair and leather.. bango! Not bad.
Hope you find the Kurass!

:D Ron

Guys, first post, need to ask some experts for help.

I'm an antique dealer but these helmets are WAY outside my areas of expertise. I've seen a great looking helmet and a quick google of what I think it is brought me to this thread. My question is - "is it a genuine helmet?" The ornamental metalwork (brass?) has worn through in places, like above the lion's eyes, and I'm surprised it would be so thin. The helmet has some stamped marks on the back 195 V 1851

Is it genuine or is someone trying to deceive me? Thanks in advance for any advice.

KurassierHelmet.jpg

The "V" is 1th Cuirassier Regiment (V* would be for the 2nd Regiment).
Only two regiments (until 1863).
Can you find a 1; 2 or 3 (Size marking) ?
Then of course the year and the Helmet number.
The chinchains look not original (French ? Dutch?) to me....
Are there kokardes ?

I would like to see the rosettes (are this "flaming grenades") as on the front of the "comb" ???
µ
Rgds,
Francis

This is not a "true" 1843 pattern helmet; the chinstraps should have been as shown before (one piece brass straps). With Argentan granades.
I had a look at my reference stuff: this would be a OR issued helmet.
Officers wore the old style 1830 helmet without the lionshead. They wore a sealskin turban at the lower edge of the shell.

Still a nice helmet !

I keep my eyes open !

Rgds,
Francis

ps: mine is missing the red plume :D

I am selling mine, along with some armor

http://www.pickelhaubes.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=6428&p=42274#p42274" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The bent wire chinstraps and the large silver discs and centre nuts are a pretty fine set which belong to the the first pattern 1830s Belgian cuirassier helmet.

A helmet I like as well!
I was impressed thise helmet, a long with similar periode (and later)French helmet didn't go up in price like avarage German militaria did!
I had a few of them, and it is back on my list.
|<ris

hi, I have two of these helmets with their armour. great looking items.this is a picture of one set. the one shown is for sale as i would like the space. the helmet is missing its liner and there are no letters or markings that i can see. the cuirass is french with makers makes and size etc. i am in the uk, if interested please contact me direct.
email. [email protected]

michael

Nice set!
Just wanted to informe you , it is never a good idea to post your email adress on a public forum!
The forum also has a specific sub-forum to put wanted or for sale items. And people who might be intrested can contact you by pm.
cheers
|<ris

Back