Beute-Mantel (is that even a word?)

drakegoodman

I've always enjoyed looking at photos where soldiers are depicted wearing enemy kit. I think this is the first time I've seen a German soldier wearing a British overcoat. He is also wearing a French belt-buckle.

Sergeant's coat by drakegoodman, on Flickr

Hey Brett,
In one of the books I have read about British POWs escaping from German camps was that they usually had their uniform taken from them before the made it to camp, by soldiers and civilians. And that wearing a British article of uniform was not something that would draw attention to one's self on a train platform, for example. I will have to dig through my books, but I think it was " Escaping the Hun" but it could have been " Beyond the Tumult".
Best
Gus

PS, in "Storm of Steel", Ernst Junger tells of being shot during an assault, and one of his soldiers takes the Canadian overcoat off him, he thought that it was that soldier who shot him by mistake.

Great photo, I'd never seen British uniform worn like this, extra surprising to see rank insignia still in place on it!

Cheers
Chris

Gustaf said:
PS, in "Storm of Steel", Ernst Junger tells of being shot during an assault, and one of his soldiers takes the Canadian overcoat off him, he thought that it was that soldier who shot him by mistake.

Thanks Gus. It's almost time to re-re-re-read that again :study:

chrispaulodale said:
Great photo, I'd never seen British uniform worn like this, extra surprising to see rank insignia still in place on it!

Same Chris. Rare as rocking-horse poo.

That is an amazing foto. I have absolutely never seen anything like it. I always wondered if the Germans were souvenier hunters as well as our guys both in WW1 and WW2. Any more fotos out there like this where Germans are wearing Allied Kit or posing with it?

Priceless (and very taunting) picture; thanks for sharing! What I wouldn't give to get my hands on a couple of those Enfields (and strip the Germans from their gear too!)

I'm pretty sure Gus would do the same for that hood dressing the top of the back display (left) as well! And if I'm not mistaken, I see a field/trench observation periscope on the table behind the rifles?

I wonder what happened to such captured weapons after the war was over. Were these destroyed or sold along with their weapons as part of the Versailles Treaty or returned to their original owners? :-k

I do not think I will ever be lucky enough to get one of those gas hoods, they just do not show up that often!

Beutemantel is composed of "Beute" (loot, stolen goods) and "Mantel" (coat)

these constructions are common in German (and Dutch)

like "kinderstoeltje" (small childrens stool")
or "kinderstoeltjesverkoper" (seller of ...)
or "kinderstoeltjesverkopersbijeenkomst" (a gathering of sellers of small... etc.)

Although... no-one would ever say "ich trage einen Beutemantel".

gr HW

wihu61 said:
Beutemantel is composed of "Beute" (loot, stolen goods) and "Mantel" (coat)

these constructions are common in German (and Dutch)

like "kinderstoeltje" (small childrens stool")
or "kinderstoeltjesverkoper" (seller of ...)
or "kinderstoeltjesverkopersbijeenkomst" (a gathering of sellers of small... etc.)

gr HW

Thanks for this great explanation of German (and Dutch) composition nouns. To us English speakers they often look very confusing at first until we realise to break them into their constituent parts...

So what's Dutch the word for the "transportation of a gathering of small children's stools sellers"? :D

Cheers
Chris

edwin said:
Dutch is not so difficult :D

Regards,

Edwin

I will bet it is so easy, that you learned how to speak it before you even went to school!
Best
Gus

"kinderstoeltjesverkopersbijeenkomsttransport" ?

how would one transport a gathering?

"kinderstoeltjesverkoperstransport"

"kinderstoeltjesverkoperstransporteursbijeenkomstoverleg"

an assembly concerning the gathering of people that are going to transport the sellers of stools for baby's.

well, it's getting a bit confusing :^o

It is clear to me, but then I was dropped on my head as a baby. language is fun.
Best
Gus

wihu61 said:
"kinderstoeltjesverkoperstransporteursbijeenkomstoverleg"

an assembly concerning the gathering of people that are going to transport the sellers of stools for baby's.

well, it's getting a bit confusing :^o

Thanks for that help too! One more question, what's the word for somebody who's in command of an assembly concerning the gathering of people that are going to transport the sellers of stools for baby's?

Cheers
Chris

You pick up these languages so quickly Gus I'm impressed =D>

Now I wonder if there's a word for the annual meals expenses allowed for somebody who's in command of an assembly concerning the gathering of people that are going to transport the sellers of stools for babies?

Cheers
Chris

Back