Bicorn

Hi

I just bought a lot of 5 bicorns. 3 danish, 1 swedish and this one. Can anyone help me out?

In danish these are called sovsekande (sauceboat) :)

Thanks

Doc

Swiss wouldn't have a crown on top....
I know nothing about Danish, all I know is we(Belgium!) had big crosses like that on buttons and they were for the red cross ...

I have no idea how old the bicorn is, but this looks like the arms of the Duchy of Savoy.

The Duchy of Savoy was annexed by France in 1860, under the terms of the Treaty of Turin. The last Duke of Savoy, Victor Emmanuel II, became King of Italy. The arms of Savoy were incorporated into various versions of the coat of arms of the kingdom of Italy

So depending on age, I suggest that the origin is the Duchy of Savoy or the Kingdom of Italy.

Patrick

I agree that it looks like Duchy of Savoy. I think it would be Savoy, or Kingdom of Italy prior to Rome becoming the capital.

Please have a look at this pouch. The seller says its Greek.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181895958330?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very nice Greek bicorn. I am happy to see someone else also collects bicorns. I have 4, all Kriegsmarine. One is a complete admiral's bicorn, one is a complete kapitan's bicorn, and two are incomplete. Fortunately what is missing on the one is on the other and vice versa.

The admiral's needs its bullion cleaned, but I am leery of it affecting the beaver skin.

Do you do anything with yours to keep the brightwork bright?

Would enjoy seeing photos of your other bicorns.

John

Back