Books JL Larcade Vol. 1 & 2

09fritz2547

Hello all,

For those who are looking for these quite rare books, please follow this link on ABC Collection in France:

http://www.abcollection.com/fr/annonce/visualisation/vente/annonce.php?IA=326221&action=choixperiode&pays=1&typeannonce=2&periode=2&categorie=3&liste=0&NumPage=1&nm=

On the site since 11/03, so perhaps already sold.

Wow! 380Eu ! I bought mine from the publisher years ago for half that amount for both. Brian

Not bad this price...!! :puke:
I bought mine (only the first volume) for a few weeks with help of a member on this forum for 135,- EUR. I also saw for a week the same volume gone on ebay France for more than 200,- EUR....

Unbelievable!!!

Philippe

Many thanks for your input, I was looking for these for a long time!!

I've contacted the vendor, and made a deal on euro 350 postage included. (I was planning to invite my wife for a nice dinner, but skipped that to provide the funding..).

Now I can follow the advice of all you experts to throw my Bowman books out of the window (or better: back on e bay)!

Thanks a lot!!

Marcel

Good choice Marcel, a €350 dinner would be a disapointment, and 24 hours later, you would have nothing left of it, I suggest you wrap the books and present them to you wife as a gift
Best wishes
Gus
PS please let me know haw that works:)

Congrats on finding those books. My "second" collection is really my helmet books. As an international collector of helmets from many eras I buy EVERY helmet book.

I'd recommend keeping the Bowman books, if for no other reason than to not let someone else be misled. But seriously, I keep EVERY helmet book, even if it is dated. It is just a history of collecting as much as a history on the subject to me.

Speaking of Bowman, is he alive? I had dealings with him years ago and he still owes me money. Haube parts that I paid him for and never received. Seems to me I heard that he had died of a heart attack? Brian

Brian- he passed many years ago, I talked to his son a few years ago as he we was trying to peddle the last few of his dad's books he had.

He swears up and down he has no idea what happend to his dad's collection and or the money he received from poeple who pre-ordered book 3, which never happened. :dontknow:

I do not think you will ever see your money or parts again :x

James

Hello

I leave in France, in Paris, and i can tell you that the first book is selling about 200-300 euros when you find it...The second tome is not rare in France.

It's a very important documentation for collecting pickelhaube !

Best regards from France,
IR76 de Hambourg :D

Yes IR76 two very important books to have. I also use my Didier Laine on many occaisions. I wonder why vol 1 of Larcade is more rare than vol 2 in France? Thanks James that brings it all back. Bowman did a trade with me..an officer Reichs kokarde for a Bavarian off kokarde which was more than fair obviously. I then bought both volumes of his books and as I was on his mailing list...I went for th parts which he was selling by the pound! Too good to be true as it turned out oh well, a lesson learned. At least, I am still alive.

Hello

The first book is more rare because it's concerning the german infantery...and in France more people prefer having a pickelhaube from an infantery regiment than an other of a cavalry regiment. It's the same thing for the uniform: Infantery is the Queen of the battle ...

Also the first book was selling very quickly! and not the second one.

Best regards
IR76 de Hambourg :D

b.loree said:
Speaking of Bowman, is he alive? I had dealings with him years ago and he still owes me money. Haube parts that I paid him for and never received.

Hello.

He is still a life! ... Or he is dead recently! He had also stolen me several years ago. Without the knowledge I bought something to him on ebay several months ago. When I realized that it was him I asked him to refund me and he offered my purchase to me. He had got cardiac problems and his wife benefitted from it to leave with the money… It is at least what he told me! I should try to find his pseudo but I do not know any more what I bought to him…

Best regards.

timp_be

You do not confuse Bowman and Johansson?

I do not see why he would have offered my purchase to me if he had nothing to do with Mr. Bowman...?

Best regards.

timp_be

Talked to Bowman's son years ago as they where liquidating all his books, said his dad had passed away.

Johansson passed away before Bowman did.

If you think he is still alive so be it.

James

For me he may be dead, it's not a problem! But if he is still alive other people can maybe be refund!

I try to remember the object that I bought to him…

Another possibility: I say that I bought it several months ago, that made perhaps more, time passes so quickly...!

timp_be

I found it!

I bought him an helmet in December 2008, his pseudo is
"broadsword_db", he is always registered on ebay and made his last sale on April 6. So he is not dead!

Here is what he wrote to me:

"Dear Mr Timperman,
I am not aware of stealing money from you-or anyone else, Imperial Publications was operated by my former American wife. In 1993 I suffered a serious heart attack and stroke,I was in hospital for almost a year, when I returned home my wife had "disappeared" to America taking with her all our personal and business assets.
I have no records from the business so I am unable to check the transaction which you refer to, however I am aware that my wife left behind several unfulfilled orders. In view of this I am prepared to try and resolve this 15 year old problem.
I estimate the two items had a value of approximatly ££45.00, I am prepared without predudice to refund you ££49.99 being the cost of the WW1 helmet you recently purchased.
I do not wish to receive negative ebay feedback for a 15 year old problem,consequenly I would appreciate you leaving positive feedback to acknowledge receipt of the steel helmet, I will then send ££49.99 to you via PayPal.
Please accept my apologies for any inconvienience caused, I hope this offer will be agreeable to you.
Yours sincerly: Joe bowman"

I find this very honest!

timp_be

Back