Brass Detachable Spike

Das158er

I just got a Bavarian helmet with a brass Detachable spike, I have never seen this before apart from with gray painted helmets, how common was the brass Detachable spike?
Hope to post a pic shortly.
Cheers Stu DAS158ER

It is indeed a rare find, but undoubtedly authentic. I think I have seen no more than 2 examples. Both prussian.

Great find Stu. I remember Marshall having a Prussian Infantry pattern helmet which he purchased back in the eighties. As you stated, made just like a standard M1915 but in brass. It was the only one I ever have had my hands on, but sort of remember one on Ebay this past year.

It's a very cool variation and I'd love to have one in my sammlung, congratulations.

Larry :thumb up:

Hear are the pics
dscn1839.jpg

dscn1843yp.jpg

dscn1841k.jpg

Very interesting! Before the crash we had a thread about experimental helmets. The model of 1908 featured a brass detachable spike that was 100% identical with the later M15. I think though that the spike base insert was steel, not brass. Also IR145 would not match the units that took part in the trials. So it seems this is a true M15 and some maker just used up the rest of his brass sheet stock?

Hey Robert, I would have to disagree that this could be thought of an M15, that the maker used up brass stocks on, the reason for switching to the steel fittings was due to a shortage of brass, and any left over stocks of brass sheet would have been turned over to munitions makers to keep the guns booming.
Best
Gus

Hi Robert the helmet is 14JR not inf reg 145 though i can see how it looks that way in the photo :D cheers Stu DAS158ER

Hey Robert, I would have to disagree that this could be thought of an M15, that the maker used up brass stocks on, the reason for switching to the steel fittings was due to a shortage of brass, and any left over stocks of brass sheet would have been turned over to munitions makers to keep the guns booming.
Do you have a theory about the helmet? There were private purchase helmets with detachable spikes but these were made completely different and evidently this is a line helmet. I don't suppose there might be a makers mark?

Hi Robert the helmet is 14JR not inf reg 145 though i can see how it looks that way in the photo cheers Stu DAS158ER
Oops, I mixed that up because I had just read up my articles and actually IR 145 would have been one of those units that participated in trails.

Back