Brass visor trim on field grey Bavarian artillery

Jbudkins10

On my large kugel there’s a brass visor trim that’s painted over to look grey I’m wondering what are peoples thoughts on what I should do the helmet. Besides the brass trim painted over to look field grey it’s 100% fine untouched with no extra holes not messed with at all?
Didn’t the Germans use a chemical to oxidize the brass or am I thinking of something else?

Should I just find a better field grey looking paint and cover it myself ?

Or should I try and find the correct chemical ? If that’s even possible?

Hi,

I wouldn't touch it, might well be that when they assembled the helmet they had some brass visor trims left over, so they painted it to make it field grey. I know that as an interim measure brass belt buckles were also painted with field-grey paint to make them less visible.

I have a field-grey Zeltbahn from early 1915, where the buttons are already made of zinc but part of the rings are made of brass, which was coated with something to make them look like zinc (but has now mostly worn over over time). In times of need, they weren't going to throw anything away.

Regards, Lars

Thanks appreciate it the only problem is I’m not sure if it’s period and it can be easy scraped off to show brass I’ll probably just leave it
But just wanted a second opinion thankyou

I won't paint it and finding a piece that will fit may not be that easy. During the war there were some helmets done with mixed medal fittings.

I’ll most likely just leave it just isn’t the correct grey looks sort of off but whatever it’s a good one

My JR 153 filz helmet also has brass fittings and wappen with neusilber visor trim. Brass was chemically darkened to stop shine. I agree with your decision to leave things as they are.

dear all
another example of this construction type, I have in my collection this nice Baden M15 with mixed field gray and brass parts.
everything is original to the helmet.
all the best
verdun16

corsa gif

Thanks gentleman this makes me feel
Better about it I’ll just leave the paint on it covering the brass
Input all much appreciated

Back