Braunschweig running horse article

joerookery

I wrote a very short article on enamel for the Braunschweig wappen. Based on information in the Neumann catalog.
http://www.coljs.com/articles/Runninghorse.htm

Joe
This catalog article is great and I fully expected it to generate some discussion. Tony and others with a good knowledge of the German language could you comment on Joe's translation of the four grades of helmet plates. I come up with a different translation and it hinges on the term "Lackirtem" Bill

Joe
Your spelling was correct. I just was reading about a helmet of Kaiser Wilhelm's with the crown monogram. The helmet maker was "Naumann" as listed by Bowman on Pg.251 of Vol I. I do believe that Bowman has another typo. Surprise, Surprise
. Bill

Joe,

Great article...my hats off to you.
God knows how many good helmets have been passed off as "fake" or "post war" since they did not match with top of the line plate.

Thanks Cyrus that's nice of you! Here is another tidbit. Dave asked earlier about the 109 Regiment. Both 109 and 115 had only two styles of different wappen. Both had enamel. This seller was based in Berlin. Clearly he serviced regiments that were closer. Bavaria, Saxony and Wurttemberg were afterthoughts. Baden did not fare too well either. They are included in the catalog, but not in any depth. Now if you were stationed in Berlin...

Joe,
Sorry to "answer the call" so late. Mea culpa, mea culpa.

My translation is basically the same as yours:

48 Helmet with gilt fitting, silver-plated star, and painted Wappen ..... second quality.

49 Helmet with heavily gilded fittings and painted Wappen ..... top quality.

50 Helmet with heavily gilded fittings, center of Wappen enamel, painted cross on Wappen

51 Helmet with genuine silver star and entire Wappen enameled

Hope this helps,

K-B

Back